Mareks??

DotandDave

Chirping
Feb 8, 2018
Hi everyone. I have an ex batt girl called Lavender. Had her nearly a year now. Age unknown but she’s never laid for me (which is fine, she’s my pet).

Lady I got her from is well experienced in mass rescues and provides vet care to all her hens. She wouldn’t give me a sick girl and certainly not a contagious girl. I trust her.

When I got Lavender, the pupils in her eyes were odd shaped. I talked about Mareks with the lady and she said no.

So in the year I’ve had Lavender, she’s been healthy, no change in her eyes til now. She’s slowly getting slower and sleepier. Last month or so, she has trouble running. I thought it was just coz she’s getting older. Giving her cuddles this morning on the lounge (as one does!!) I noticed her eyes are changing. Pupils still odd shaped. But left eye - distinct circle of blood around pupil. Right eye not so bad but same thing starting. Eye lids look normal.

She had a check up at the vet about 3mths ago. All good.

She’s alert, gets around when she needs to, talks a lot, eats/drinks well, loves her life.

Any thoughts pls? TIA

Attachments

• 62693245-666C-439C-B75F-BEE251E74271.jpeg
    62693245-666C-439C-B75F-BEE251E74271.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 55
Thanks heaps. Someone on fb suggested uveitis. Not sure whether she’s slowing down due to old age or something else going on. She’s happy and alert, eating, tries to run to me. Sweet girl. Def eyes have changed

I just had blood tests done on a few of my birds to check for Marek’s. I see you’re not in the United States so I can’t direct you to a lab in your area. I would suggest looking into a lab that may do PCR testing.

If it is Marek’s there really isn’t anything you can do. Her eye to me looks more like an injury. It could even be that as a battery hen she didn’t get proper nutrients for her eyes as a young chick.

I'm pretty sure the pupil is indicative of ocular Marek's. I am not aware of anything else that causes irregular pupils. Unfortunately, loss of motor control is also a sign of Marek's. I would offer her the best supportive care you can if she is a beloved pet. Try to minimize stress in your flock, since they have all been exposed, if that is what she has. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure the pupil is indicative of ocular Marek's. I am not aware of anything else that causes irregular pupils. Unfortunately, loss of motor control is also a sign of Marek's. I would offer her the best supportive care you can if she is a beloved pet. Try to minimize stress in your flock, since they have all been exposed, if that is what she has. Good luck!

Thanks yeah I thought so when I first took her. I told the lady of my concerns. My flock is happy. They’re all spoilt. But I take special of my Lavender girl now seeing she can’t run like the others. No other symptoms and I make sure they’re all comfy and loved.

Hi everyone. I have an ex batt girl called Lavender. Had her nearly a year now. Age unknown but she’s never laid for me (which is fine, she’s my pet).

Lady I got her from is well experienced in mass rescues and provides vet care to all her hens. She wouldn’t give me a sick girl and certainly not a contagious girl. I trust her.

When I got Lavender, the pupils in her eyes were odd shaped. I talked about Mareks with the lady and she said no.

So in the year I’ve had Lavender, she’s been healthy, no change in her eyes til now. She’s slowly getting slower and sleepier. Last month or so, she has trouble running. I thought it was just coz she’s getting older. Giving her cuddles this morning on the lounge (as one does!!) I noticed her eyes are changing. Pupils still odd shaped. But left eye - distinct circle of blood around pupil. Right eye not so bad but same thing starting. Eye lids look normal.

She had a check up at the vet about 3mths ago. All good.

She’s alert, gets around when she needs to, talks a lot, eats/drinks well, loves her life.

Any thoughts pls? TIA

No it doesn't looks like mareks not at all eyes with Marek will look entire Grey then golden or red

but looks like catract which is might be genetic or by injury she got during her cage days

If she’s an ex battery hen and you are not sure of her age she may just be getting old. Much like us, when chickens get old they tend to slow down and often get eye problems and niggling health complaints that a younger chicken would recover from.

Battery hens tend not to live a very long life even after the care they receive from those who rescue them.

@Chickencountryuk has experience with battery rescue hens. She may be able to give some advice based on her experience.

Back
Top Bottom