Mareks????

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
my little pullet is about 12 weeks old and today I go out there and she’s paralyzed
Only one foot works it’s as if her back and legs broken. She’s been on medicated food with added garlic and cinnamon sometimes with occasional meal worms veggies and grit
I removed her from my flock in case but she won’t eat or drink I’m giving her drops of water occasionally and I washed her butt to make sure it wasnt that . I don’t know what to do to help her and if it is Mareks I don’t know what to do to my coop to keep the others from getting it

Attachments

• 428C7FAE-3B9B-40CD-BAC0-35708E6A5596.jpeg
    428C7FAE-3B9B-40CD-BAC0-35708E6A5596.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 19
It does sound like Marek's symptoms, unfortunately. Separating her now from the flock won't prevent the others from getting it, though. They already have it. It doesn't just strike one chicken like lightening. It's in the air they all breathe.

There are other possible causes of the pullet's symptoms. It could be another avian virus, of which there are more than just Marek's. It could be exposure to a mold toxin or petroleum distillate toxin such as paint thinner or an insecticide. Lead paint flakes could cause this, and even a bad case of coccidiosis.

There's no way to know for sure without testing, and testing is most accurate on a chicken that has just died. If that happens, look for a state lab to do a necropsy.

Would lice paralyze her?
She has no sign of injury like no blood no missing feathers her vents open and clean
She just acts like her back and one leg is broken she seemed fine last night this morning she’s just laying there
I’m feeding her drops of water but she won’t eat

Last edited:
Do you mean mating? Sex? No, it wouldn't.

There's really nothing you can do right away. This chicken isn't likely to recover from this, whatever the diagnosis. If she is lame and lethargic and stops eating, you need to consider putting her out of her misery. That's step number one.

Step number two is refrigerating her body and locating a lab to do a necropsy. Here's who to contact:
University of Kentucky
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Phone: 859-257-8283
Fax: 859-255-1624

If it is Marek's your entire flock already has it. There is no way that this isn't going to be the truth you have to deal with. Having a necropsy done on this chicken will confirm or rule out Marek's. If it isn't Marek's, the tests will tell you what disease has made this chicken sick. There's practically zero chance that your entire flock won't be dealing with the consequences of whatever it is.

It appears your pullet is a polish or other crested breed? If that's the case, then a couple of other possibilities other than Marek's. Head trauma is not uncommon for those breeds due to the vaulted skull. They also are more prone to infection for the same reason. If vet care is an option for you then antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds may help if it's the latter. If it's injury from pecking or other head trauma then time will tell.
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/head-injury
https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/diseases-common-to-polands/
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/CerebralHernia/CerebralHernia.html

Back
Top Bottom