A little under a month ago I took in a silkie that couldn’t walk due to vitamin deficiency. I took her in and gave her meds. She’s been ill for about 3 months. The women are wasnt constantly giving her meds thus the reason for her being rehome. I am now wondering if she has Mareks. I give her meds at night and she has my improve. I also give her vitamin water. She flops on one side and has her leg sticking out. I’m so scared it Mareks, I’m going to order a test but I’m scared it’s going to take a while to arrive. I’m going to try to go to some vets but I don’t know how long it’ll take to get an appointment. If she has Mareks what does that mean for the rest of my flock. I’m giving her vitamin B12 now so lmk if I can be giving her anything else. Thank you
I happened to speak to the lab in Texas that will do PCR for Marek’s for backyard flocks.
If the sample arrives by 10:30am you get the result that day. But you have to get the sample kit first and they send that priority mail USPS.
I have seen other sites that will do the PCR using feathers sent in a baggie (no special kit required) this just happens to be the lab I spoke to.
Here is the link but the website doesn’t have that much info, you need to actually call them if you have questions
https://www.vetdna.com/

B12 has no riboflavin (B2.) B Complex or super B is what you need. It has riboflavin and all other B’s. B12 only has B12 and no other B vitamins. Riboflavin is important for leg health in chickens.
I just realize that. The women said the B12 was helping her but I got a ton of other chicken vitamins all including riboflavin and some selenite. I watched a video of a women with a similar issue and bought everything she recommended and a vitamins/electrolytes mixture you can put in their water.

I happened to speak to the lab in Texas that will do PCR for Marek’s for backyard flocks.
If the sample arrives by 10:30am you get the result that day. But you have to get the sample kit first and they send that priority mail USPS.
I have seen other sites that will do the PCR using feathers sent in a baggie (no special kit required) this just happens to be the lab I spoke to.
Here is the link but the website doesn’t have that much info, you need to actually call them if you have questions
https://www.vetdna.com/
I will definitely be doing that, thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom