Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

Good to know! How many do you have total? Males? Females?
I’m not even sure :oops:
Before the breeding season started, I had 48, just a few more females than males. I’ve had a fox lurking around and I know it got one for sure (caught on security cam) and some of the girls are hiding eggs. I think I’m at about 42. Since I always have a few off to themselves, I haven’t been able to get a full count for a couple weeks.

I’m not even sure :oops:
Before the breeding season started, I had 48, just a few more females than males. I’ve had a fox lurking around and I know it got one for sure (caught on security cam) and some of the girls are hiding eggs. I think I’m at about 42. Since I always have a few off to themselves, I haven’t been able to get a full count for a couple weeks.
Since you have so many males do they over mate your females?

Since you have so many males do they over mate your females?
Not as badly as big ducks, but unfortunately they do. Calls seem to pick mates and stick with them, but the “bachelors” will still chase them around and pounce when the opportunity arises.
I watched a couple drakes trying to defend their hen against a couple bachelors. Sometimes they just give up and let her go.

I dunno... mine each have their own female or two, but seem to always go after another's which either a fight ensues or a helper for taking on the poor lady🤦‍♀️ It's ridiculous! It's mostly the black magpie drake and butterscotch drake that are the instigators. I'll keep them separated for now I guess or send them to jail together! Little adorable boogers.

I have 6 In the incubator 2 weeks from hatch. Maybe they will all be females so there will be more ladies to go around. My luck, will be 6 boys! Lol
Have you joined the Easter hatchalong? 🤔🤔🤔

Not as badly as big ducks, but unfortunately they do. Calls seem to pick mates and stick with them, but the “bachelors” will still chase them around and pounce when the opportunity arises.
I watched a couple drakes trying to defend their hen against a couple bachelors. Sometimes they just give up and let her go.
Thanks, I have two pretty small Mallards that I was not sure if they would try to mate them or not. My other girls are all a lot bigger. I love the littles but am at my limit right now with ducks so I can't get any Call females.

Back
Top Bottom