Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

We just get it by the bag. I try to get it when it goes on sale but I'm going to have to get some this weekend and I didn't see any on sale yet..
One bag will basically have the coverage of mulch that is double the size of the bag, does that make sense?
If you know any tree trimmers you can contact them too and ask if they have any bulk mulch. They usually throw it away.
I want my own mulcher so bad.
Thanks for all of the info. I appreciate it. I still already have 2 tons of sand on hand that I need to get moved into the pen. If only the rain would stop so I can do it during my Spring Break but it is not looking very promising at this point. My ducks love their wet pen however. lol I am the one with the hangup on it. lol

👏why👏do👏I👏stop👏receiving👏notifications
Email or just bell notifications here on the site?

@casportpony I forget why notifications stop, is it after a few are ignored, or a certain number in a row, or something else?

We just get it by the bag. I try to get it when it goes on sale but I'm going to have to get some this weekend and I didn't see any on sale yet..
One bag will basically have the coverage of mulch that is double the size of the bag, does that make sense?
If you know any tree trimmers you can contact them too and ask if they have any bulk mulch. They usually throw it away.
I want my own mulcher so bad.
I was going to suggest tree trimmers also. We had some trees being trimmed near us, my husband spoke to the workers and told them they could dump it on our property. I think we got 3 large mounds. One of my girls tried to make a nest on top of one of the piles!
B9B9491B-92F3-45BF-9F86-26AC00413A9D.jpeg

I've been trying out some new call duck arrangements and trying different groups together. Well, it appears as though this little handsome cutie is the problem child. He is harassing the butterscotch girl which gets her boy all worked up. So he is in drake jail with the roosters at the moment. It makes sense, he seems the most over zealous. His little female is missing feathers on her head from all of his intentions! I tried giving him another girl, but he only likes Maggie or the butterscotch girl lol! 2nd picture is too cute not to include. Gracie couldn't wait for me to refill the swim tubs so she took matters into her own webbed feet and hopped in the bucket I was going to use to fill the tub with!

Attachments

• 20230324_123001.jpg
    20230324_123001.jpg
    850 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230324_130543.jpg
    20230324_130543.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Have you ever gotten any bumblefoot from the Mulch. I have sand but have to keep adding it as it seems to disappear after time and the pen becomes a muddy mess.So far I have put down 6 tons and have another 2 tons to move over my Spring Break. It is such a job since my pen is so big. I love your Duckies!!! Has Quackers ever tried to mate with any of the Call Hens? It looked like Quackers was a drake but I was not sure. Just looked like the male tail feather in the picture to me. Thanks for the info.
Quackers is a hen and because she was a lone duck (her mate had to be culled early-on) she doesn’t get in the pool to swim. I don’t believe the mulch has contributed to any of the foot problems I’ve experienced but I guess it’s something to consider 🤔.
My little call drake Gilligan does challenge Peanut and my pheasant cockbirds and I did catch him chasing the pheasant hens the other day 😂 not sure if he’s attempted to mate with quackers but possible.

@casportpony I forget why notifications stop, is it after a few are ignored, or a certain number in a row, or something else?

I was going to suggest tree trimmers also. We had some trees being trimmed near us, my husband spoke to the workers and told them they could dump it on our property. I think we got 3 large mounds. One of my girls tried to make a nest on top of one of the piles!
View attachment 3442328
You can sign up for chipdrop. They will deliver a truckload of mulch from arborists.

Edit:. Chipdrop is free. You don't have any control of when or how much they give you. It's free.

Last edited:

View attachment 3442328
I put the extra bags stacked in the aviary and it was a favorite spot for the calls to hang out 😂

Thanks for all of the info. I appreciate it. I still already have 2 tons of sand on hand that I need to get moved into the pen. If only the rain would stop so I can do it during my Spring Break but it is not looking very promising at this point. My ducks love their wet pen however. lol I am the one with the hangup on it. lol
I’ve been buying it by the bag as well….I’ve used both colored pine and plain cypress mulch. We typically turn the soil in the aviary with the electric tiller 2-3x per year and add fresh mulch as necessary. It takes about 20 bags for a full replacement. My main aviary is around 600 sq ft.

Back
Top Bottom