marking chicks?

Quote:
Yay! That sounds awesome! Thank you so much! Is there any special procedure for that?

You buy a little toe punch thing, they are less than 5.00, and you punch a hole in the webbing between the toes. It's kind of like piercing and ear. Works great.

Hi,

I prefer to toe punch my chicks right after they're born. You can find a chart on the internet or email me and I'll send you one.

I punch mine according to the breeding pen they came from which identifies the mother and father. I write the pen # on each egg and separate the eggs by a divider in the hatching tray so they can't get mixed up.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

Quote:
I had gotten some Ameraucanas from Paul Smith last year and he had his all toe punched... it was great. I'm not exactly sure on mother and father on these, but I would like to keep track of the color of egg they came from if I am going to end up breeding them later.

warhorse~ You can toe punch them for whatever you want. Like tailfeathers I toe punch according to breeding pen. But I figured it would be a permanent way to mark the chicks for you, all the other methods can either come off, or need to be update constantly. I punch them as I take them out of the hatcher.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I got my original birds from Paul too. He's a great guy. It probably doesn't matter much who the parents are when getting them from Paul since you will be breeding from two different pens anyway. However, if you have questions about your birds, Paul can probably tell you who the parents where and what other information from them you might be after.

This may already be understood but here's a simple example of how the toe punching works. I have four roosters from different lines and let's just say I have two hens from different lines than the roosters. One of them lays a deep blue egg and the other a very light blue egg. I can then mate all four roosters to each hen. Once the pullets lay I can tell what roosters to keep. If my deep blue egg lightens up from a rooster - he's gone. If my very light blue egg deepens up, that rooster gets to live anothe year.

God Bless,

Quote:
I got my original birds from Paul too. He's a great guy. It probably doesn't matter much who the parents are when getting them from Paul since you will be breeding from two different pens anyway. However, if you have questions about your birds, Paul can probably tell you who the parents where and what other information from them you might be after.

This may already be understood but here's a simple example of how the toe punching works. I have four roosters from different lines and let's just say I have two hens from different lines than the roosters. One of them lays a deep blue egg and the other a very light blue egg. I can then mate all four roosters to each hen. Once the pullets lay I can tell what roosters to keep. If my deep blue egg lightens up from a rooster - he's gone. If my very light blue egg deepens up, that rooster gets to live anothe year.

God Bless,

No, this hatch is not from Paul. I'm just starting with these from some BYCers.

I use food coloring on their belly between the legs. Works for several weeks and does not rub off, fall off and you can tell them at a glance from across the room.

Back
Top Bottom