marking chicks?

warhorse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Cibolo, TX
I am hatching out some Ameraucana and some Araucana chicks within a few days of each other soon. Of course, I can tell the difference between the two of them, but I would like to mark the chicks as they hatch as to which ones came from the nicer colored eggs. Are there any suggestions on how to keep track of that? I was going to brood them all together. The broody hen is sitting on the bluest ones and the not so blue ones are in the incubator... a total of 12 under the hen and I think 12 in the incubator.

Quote:
Really? I thought with them growing so fast that might not be the easiest way. I thought I had heard someone using nail polish or marker?

You can use marker on the head, just don't use red. It does not last very long but it does the job on light colored chicks. I use the small rubber bands the orthodontists use they come in different colors, you just have to cut them off thier leg in a few weeks.

I tried using a marker. doesnt last for more than 4 days. I now use the little colored bands. They will last untill birds get bigger and then you gotta change them.

Back
Top Bottom