marking silkie chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have some silver white chicks that I would like to mark, so that I can identify them when they are older. Also I would like to mark some chicks that come from different lines. How can I do this at 3 weeks old? Any suggestions? The silver white chicks are easy to tell with the down color, but I think I may get them confused when they feather out, which they are doing now. [​IMG]

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    You can put leg bands on them

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:? and just continue to change the size as the grow? duh what a novel idea [​IMG] Now why didn't I think of that! [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

mini colored zip ties are great also, just be sure to pay attention to how long they are there and cut them off and change them out often.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    dip them in food colouring...

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You can also toe punch

8. HatTrickSilkies

HatTrickSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    Eastern PA
    Quote:If you need to mark very young chicks you can put some nail polish on their toe. Once the wing feathers start to come in at a few weeks of age, you can apply some polish to the wing feathers - it should last a few weeks.

If you need to mark older birds, colored hair spray (like you see at Halloween time) works like a charm. I use colored dots on their tail or cushion to color code them. It's non-toxic and washable.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use colored velco on my Silkies. I keep that on until I can switch them to "grown up" plastic numbered bands.

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I use colored pipe cleaners for leg bands. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by