Marshmallows & hot cocoa (edited to fix recipe)

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
With fall here, it's time for marshmallows and hot cocoa! I've got some serious hankerings lately.

BUT WAIT! Don't reach for that icky packet of Swiss Miss or those expensive Jet-Puff marshmallows... make your own. Your friends will be so impressed.

You can keep the secret how easy it is.

------------------------------------------------
MARSHMALLOWS
3 1/4-oz envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/2 c cold water
2.5 c sugar
3/4 c light corn syrup
1/2 c hot water
1/4 t salt
2 t vanilla extract (for a variation, try 1/2 t peppermint extract!)
powdered sugar

1. Line 13x9 pan with parchment paper or foil & coat generously with cooking spray. Don't be shy!

2. In large heatproof bowl, mix gelatin & cold water.

3. Heat sugar, corn syrup, hot water, and salt in heavy saucepan over med-hi heat, stirring until it boils. STOP STIRRING and wait until it hits 240 on a candy thermometer.

4. Pour mixture into the gelatin. Using electric mixer, whip until mixture has doubled. Fold in vanilla.

5. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Allow to cool & set, uncovered, overnight.

6. Use a pizza cutter dipped in hot water to cut squares. Toss to coat in the powdered sugar & store in airtight container.

NOTE: Peppermint marshmallows are sooo yummy. They're expensive at Trader Joe's - about $4 for a few - so make your own!

------------------------------------------------
HOT COCOA MIX
1 c sugar
1 c natural cocoa powder
1 c nonfat dry powdered milk
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
2 t kosher salt

Dump everything into a container that has a tight lid. Put lid on & SHAKE it like crazy.

Scoop 1/3 cup mix into a mug and pour in just enough hot water to cover. Stir until smooth, then top off with more hot water.

VARIATIONS:
Instead of the chocolate chips, add any of the following:
1/2 c cinnamon chips
1/2 c peanut butter chips
1/2 c crushed candy canes
1/2 c instant coffee AND 3/4 c mini choc chips
3 oz chopped Mexican chocolate AND 1 T cinnamon
1 c white chocolate chips AND 1 T vanilla powder

For an extra rich hot cocoa, replace 1/2 c of the dry milk with 1/2 powdered creamer. TASTY!!

Last edited:
BTW... there are also egg white marshmallow recipes out there. I've never tried those but for those of you with an abundance of eggs, you shoudl try one & post results!

looks yummy...i am a big fan of the marshmallow.

and kudos for spelling marshmallow correctly. it is my only true pet peeve in my life. isn't is a dumb pet peeve at that?

That sounds yummy and easy to make!
And here I have just used Peeps leftover from Easter like ducks swimming in a muddy puddle!
lol.png

I got lazy today and have spent the whole day reading recipes from the last page till now and This one deserves a good ol bump up to the front of the line
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom