Maryland Gazette STORY TO COME!

NarleevilleClucks

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Linthicum, Maryland
I'm being forced to "get rid" of my chickens after over two years with them due to a falling out with a neighbor who has pushed zoning to enforce the rule of a coop being 50 feet from anothers property line. My property is only 50 x 150. I wrote a letter to the MD Gazette and they are going to run it. I would like to share it with you all and get your feedback on anything you think I should make a point of and invite you to either contact them in support of my pight, or to comment when it's published...whatever you'd like to say or do...The letter is as follows...

I am writing to bring attention to an issue that I know my family is not alone in. For over two years we have kept chickens in our back yard. Five laying hens that we bought from the AAC 8th Avenue co-op at aproximately three days old. We do not keep a rooster, in order to eliminate noise issues and to keep from increasing our flock size. My family has raised these hens without incident,kept them through two extreme winters, shared our eggs freely,and composted droppings to enrich our organic garden soil. They've educated children, brough whimsey and laughter when they've pecked the cat or chased the dog, and fed our friends and family. Now due to a personal dispute with a neighbor, zoning says that although they are quiet, secured, and unintrusive to others lives,liberties, or pursuits of happiness, we have until Oct. 27th to "get rid" of them. This code is in need of change. Citizens are more concerned about nutrition, green ideals, natural resources and providing for their own families in hard times, without the use of food stamps. This started as a personal vendetta against our family, but we hope it will end with ammended codes to allow for relief of infringement upon the civil liberties of our tax paying citizens. Ours is not the only family trying live a greener lifestyle in this area, attempting to teach our children about a natural world in the midst of shootings and roberies. Where is our right to live the lifestyle we choose? One that has no negative effect on others and benefits our family and the environment around us. Even Baltimore City has changed it's ideas about back yard chickens! When we were initially stationed here 11 years ago, Anne Arundel County was touted as an agricultural area. There are many families with backyard chickens in the area, are they safe only until a neighbor becomes miffed by some mundane issue and then off with their heads? This is a basic infringement of our civil liberties, not just chicken $%*!

I hope I don't come across like a freak. What do ya'll think?

Quote:
I agree 100% I only live a couple of miles from you and I have chickens (not suppose to) so I won't say where. You invest all of that time and caring for those great pets-not counting the money- and one pain in the #%$%@ neighbor complains and you have too change your life style and pleasure. I hope it all works out for you but if not,try and make your neighbor feel some pain (non physical) I don't want you getting in trouble. Goodluck

I think the letter sounds great. You addressed the issues with your neighbor in a respectful way. I had a falling out with my neighbor (who I thought was a friend too). She complained about my 3 hens--and we both have 1/2 acre fully fenced lots. She indicated that if the HOA wouldn't enforce the rules (I'm president), then she'd go up the chain of command to force me to get rid of my chickens. Fortunately, either she didn't follow through on her threats, or county zoning officials didn't feel like it was worth their time to go after an outlaw chicken owner. Either way, I've had my chickens for just over a year now, and I'm still enjoying their company. Good luck in your fight!

Anyone who dislikes ckickens is crazy! They are so sweet and funny. Out here the rule is something like 3 feet from the property line, and it isn't specific to coops; it applies to any building. Good luck with the fight and I hope you win!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom