MARYLAND THREAD!

Ah that is John Simmons. He is the man I got my bantam rocks from at the Delmarva poultry show earlier this month. They are beautiful birds!

Hey that's great! Wasn't that show great? I was there too, that's where I met him! Going to call him up today and let him know I'll be by in a week or so. He sold his Quail D'anvers but is buying some back for me to get my hands on two pullets.

Ah that is John Simmons. He is the man I got my bantam rocks from at the Delmarva poultry show earlier this month. They are beautiful birds!

ETA just read your above reply to me. Small world! The were some gorgeous birds there, weren't there?

Yes there were! Those Polish hens were amazing, and the goose they had was the biggest I've ever seen. The silkies were all quite lovely, and I've never seen so many Seramas! The pigeon club was there too, and they were quite impressive birds.

Green Hill Farm in Sharpsburg Md. 21782 had their chicken swap yesterday. Did anyone go to the Maryland Poultry Show and Swap yesterday? 4-22-2017

My son and I put it on the calendar and then he had to work so we didn't get to go yesterday.

Green Hill Farm in Sharpsburg Md. 21782​ had their chicken swap yesterday. Did anyone go to the Maryland Poultry Show and Swap yesterday? 4-22-2017

My son and I put it on the calendar and then he had to work so we didn't get to go yesterday.

I went and did quite well. Sold 35 chicks in about an hour! And bought three more :)

​ I have not heard of anyone from close around here give or sell any of there. If you find anyone that has them why don't you get a few eggs if they have a pair hen and rooster.  Hatch your own eggs and raise the chicks.

Yeah I was thinking of buying hatching eggs but would rather not deal with shipped eggs if I don't have to do.

I went and did quite well. Sold 35 chicks in about an hour! And bought three more
smile.png

Yeah I was thinking of buying hatching eggs but would rather not deal with shipped eggs if I don't have to do.

So what kind do you sell and what did you buy there? I hope next year we get to go to it. Are Maron the breed of chickens that lay the deep chocolate looking eggs? They are real dark brown egg?

​ So what kind do you sell and what did you buy there?   I hope next year we get to go to it.  Are Maron the breed of chickens that lay the deep chocolate looking eggs? They are real dark brown egg?

I bought two more Easter Eggers and a Salmon Faverolle.

I already have blue copper, splash, and wheaten Marans. Marans are "chocolate" egg layers, but really it depends on the breeder and how good their breeding program is. Some breeders, mainly casual backyard and hatchery, don't breed for egg color very well so a lot of the offspring do not have very dark eggs.

I was one of the few sellers with bantams so I think that's why I did so well, especially since they were old enough to be sexed. I had bantam Cochins and Old English Game bantams mainly, and then a few large fowl from my chick orders earlier in the year (Amberlinks, black giants, etc).

Hi I just bought 4 chickens at the Md. Chicken swap last weekend. I got 2 buff Orpington, 1 cokoo moran and a easter egger. Also a golden cascade duck. Im on the eastern shore of Maryland.

Hi I just bought 4 chickens at the Md. Chicken swap last weekend. I got 2 buff Orpington, 1 cokoo moran and a easter egger. Also a golden cascade duck. Im on the eastern shore of Maryland.

It was quite a drive but good fun, wasn't it?

There is another swap coming up before long in eastern shore VA (Chincoteague, I think). I will look for the info and post back.

ETA It is Saturday May 13 from 9 to 1 and is monthly, at Queen Hive Farm in Assawoman VA.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom