MARYLAND THREAD!

Awesome! Where in the city are you allowed chickens? I have family all over Bawl'mer and they are just itching to get a few laying hens, Hon!
You can have them anywhere in the city! On lots less than 2,000 sq. ft., you can have up to four hens. For even additional 1,000 sq. ft over that, you can have an additional hen, up to a maximum of ten hens on a property. Roosters are not allowed, unfortunately. You just need to register the hens with the Maryland Department of Agriculture, and then apply for a chicken permit. More details here, and the full law is here. As far as most cities go, Baltimore City's rules are pretty lax, honestly. I can have up to eight chickens on my property, which is more than enough for our family!

You can have them anywhere in the city! On lots less than 2,000 sq. ft., you can have up to four hens. For even additional 1,000 sq. ft over that, you can have an additional hen, up to a maximum of ten hens on a property. Roosters are not allowed, unfortunately. You just need to register the hens with the Maryland Department of Agriculture, and then apply for a chicken permit. More details here, and the full law is here. As far as most cities go, Baltimore City's rules are pretty lax, honestly. I can have up to eight chickens on my property, which is more than enough for our family!
Would have been nice to have that regulation in my county. Up to 10,000 square feet for the 4 chicken minimum in Anne Arundel. The no rooster rule still applies but instead of the MDA we have to register at the Anne Arundel animal control place in Millersville. I am happy to at least have 3 chickens since February 2021 (two Easter Eggers hens that were store bought and a roundhead mix hen I hatched from an egg) which two are laying eggs and fertilizer in a couple of buckets for the upcoming spring. My okra plants this year end up becoming trees by midsummer thanks to the soil and fertilizer mix lol. Hopefully the county would change a bit to increase the numbers for the land footage in the future. I wouldn't mind having a few other varieties like a Buff Orphington hen and a few Jersey Giant hens. Right now, I only have enough room for 1 more to meet my regulation requirement.

Would have been nice to have that regulation in my county. Up to 10,000 square feet for the 4 chicken minimum in Anne Arundel. The no rooster rule still applies but instead of the MDA we have to register at the Anne Arundel animal control place in Millersville. I am happy to at least have 3 chickens since February 2021 (two Easter Eggers hens that were store bought and a roundhead mix hen I hatched from an egg) which two are laying eggs and fertilizer in a couple of buckets for the upcoming spring. My okra plants this year end up becoming trees by midsummer thanks to the soil and fertilizer mix lol. Hopefully the county would change a bit to increase the numbers for the land footage in the future. I wouldn't mind having a few other varieties like a Buff Orphington hen and a few Jersey Giant hens. Right now, I only have enough room for 1 more to meet my regulation requirement.
Goodness, that does sound irritatingly stifling. I grew up in Pasadena, we had Rhode Island Reds (at least eight or nine? I can't remember now.), and no one ever complained. I still have some family there and they say there are at least a few properties that definitely have roosters, and have had roosters for quite a while. Seems like the AAC zoning regulations need to be updated...

On a gardening note, our dirt was pure sand and we could never get anything at all to grow in AAC, haha. Glad your okra did as well as it did!!

Hi! Southern Maryland here, farming country. We have 21 chickens, 7 ducks, two goats and a baby cow (trying to rehome). Also have about 20 pekin duck eggs in the incubator due around Christmas. Never a dull moment and loving every second!!

Hi! Southern Maryland here, farming country. We have 21 chickens, 7 ducks, two goats and a baby cow (trying to rehome). Also have about 20 pekin duck eggs in the incubator due around Christmas. Never a dull moment and loving every second!!
Welcome Aboard! I'm in Maryland's far Northeastern corner. Aside from the requisite dogs and cats (my kids say I'm one cat shy of Crazy Cat Lady status,) I am currently down to 11 chickens for the winter, mostly Nankin bantams. I'm hoping to hatch in the Spring, so numbers should go up a bit. I'd love to have ducks again, but I can't keep them out of our creek. I refuse to maintain a buffet for the foxes. I miss my Mallards!

Welcome Aboard! I'm in Maryland's far Northeastern corner. Aside from the requisite dogs and cats (my kids say I'm one cat shy of Crazy Cat Lady status,) I am currently down to 11 chickens for the winter, mostly Nankin bantams. I'm hoping to hatch in the Spring, so numbers should go up a bit. I'd love to have ducks again, but I can't keep them out of our creek. I refuse to maintain a buffet for the foxes. I miss my Mallards!
Good luck! If you need baby ducks, let me know ☺

One of my hen's, Alberta, is starting to do the chicken egg laying song. She's been singing it the past week but nothing has come out yet. She was born in July 11, so I figured it might be a bit early but getting close to laying eggs. However, my two EE were able to lay eggs after 5 months but could be a matter of different breeds also. Alberta is a roundhead mix that I hatched from an egg someone gave me. She is quite the survivor losing a wing from a fox attack before Thanksgiving. The other factor I am sorta concerned about is Maryland weather. It's been a mix between cold and hot the past few days that it sorta confusing to my EE I guess since I had the impression they would stop laying during the colder months lol. Anyway, should I worry if Alberta continues to do the egg laying song and nothing comes out for a long duration of time? I mean I read from others in in this forum that the egg can get stuck. The other factor I worry about is if the recent fox attack could cause a traumatizing event leading to her being potentially egg bound. Anyway, I'll update if the egg comes out. She's is very friendly and love's to eat especially cabbage & lemongrass as a snack with her regular feed. :)

Back
Top Bottom