MARYLAND THREAD!

Thanks! I started with the Garden Coop plans but realized quickly that I would want to go bigger.

I ordered:

Araucana (2)
Barred Rock
White Leghorn
Black Australop
Rhode Island Red
Buff Orpington
Golden Laced Wyandotte
Welsummer (2)

I look forward to patronizing my more local SS, the turf center, for feed and other supplies. I went to Frederick for the chicks for variety of breeds.
Hi How are all your chicks doing? do you have any pictures of yours?

Hi  How are all your chicks doing?  do you have any pictures of yours?

Thanks for asking! They seem great. MHP is on low and the Coop is livable but needs a few more tweaks before I move them out!

Three weeks old:

I have 4 hens already. We have had them since last year, my sons friend gave them to us. Come Monday we are going to Westminster and picking up 6 chicks. 2 araucana, 2 rhode Island reds, 2 Welsummers. We are getting the sexed chicks and hoping for all female. I know its a 20 % chance we may get a roo. I made my brooder out of a large plastic container. I used a reptile lamp hanger I bought and duct taped it to a 4 ft 2x4 and hung a lamp on it and made sure it stayed at 90 degrees for 4 hours with no fluctuation in temp. As I lower the temp the pole can be move with out doing anything to the 2x4. So it should work out good. WE will see. My son is working on a run for them outside it is all framed up he has to put the roof on it and wire.

Great pictures Shannon. My chicks come this Monday. I can't wait to get them home and start hand raising them. I love the picture where your little one is hand feeding the chicks. What did you mix up for him to give them?

Last edited:
I need to get my tail in gear and start working on the coop and run for my chicks. I'm going to repurpose our old outdoor playset after seeing some great ideas for this in the coop section of the site. I'm hoping to get started on it this week but we'll see if the weather cooperates. My yard is like soup right now! I'm also building raised beds this year and am going to fence in the garden (because the deer are jerks) and let the chickens do all the hard work for me weeding and insect killing. lol

I don't suppose anyone has any Cochin or D'uccle chicks available or knows where I might find some locally?

I need to get my tail in gear and start working on the coop and run for my chicks. I'm going to repurpose our old outdoor playset after seeing some great ideas for this in the coop section of the site. I'm hoping to get started on it this week but we'll see if the weather cooperates. My yard is like soup right now! I'm also building raised beds this year and am going to fence in the garden (because the deer are jerks) and let the chickens do all the hard work for me weeding and insect killing. lol

I don't suppose anyone has any Cochin or D'uccle chicks available or knows where I might find some locally?

My yard sounds just like yours with all the rain we had. You will have to add some of the pictures of your coop and run as you build it, ok repurpose it. I am sure it will turn out great and the chicks will love it.

Heat lamp is duct taped to a 2x4 and the heat lamp is placed so it can be moved as needed when adjusting the temperture as the chicks get older.

Brooder station is placed in the corner with heat lamp directly pluged into outlet.

The lid was cut out for when they begin to try flying.

This close up of the lamp show how it can adjust to any height. If you look at the black pole it can be moved up and down as they need heat.

Inside is ready other then putting feed and water in the bowls.

This father would throw a fit. No safty here is there. He is standing on the run he made for the coop last year with the hens under it.

Painting a few board before putting on the roof.

He was working on the roof here and placing the boards on.

This helpers are at it again. Just watching!

Raising the roof.

Its almost on.

Making them adjust ments before he begins to screw down the roof.

I Got this, I don't need the other guys help today.

Lets figure how to raise the roof.

Getting everything in my head right before I start.

Monday we go to pick up our girls. Mean while my son and a few of his friends have been working on a pen right next to the old coop that our hens are all in. I finished my brooder box and its ready. I am using a large storage box and I hung a heat lamp over the box and made sure it was at 90 degrees for 4 hours. It stayed the same temperature with no problems. These pictures are in no order at all.

This day was very cold and had stopped raining that morning so it was also wet. By the time it was dry enough half of the day was over with.

This was taken later in the afternoon as they were done eating lunch as you can see the pot where all the sausages were before they went over the open fire that you cant see.

Hmmm somethings not right here. Two are working while one is just watching them.

It must be getting to be a habit because there he is again just watching. LOL Oh and you can see the helper there checking out all the tools laying all over the ground.

Framing is going good here and it looks like we have the beginning of a structure now.

With all the work I did its time to take a nap " Its hard work watching and helping"

More to come.

Last edited:

What part of Maryland?

Back
Top Bottom