MARYLAND THREAD!

So the wife called the 3 "local" Tractor Supplies and a Southern States. None apparently had what she is looking for that were sexed (She just wants pullets for the eggs). So now I guess my question for the fine folks of Maryland and specifically peeps in the Frederick / Thurmont /Waynesboro PA area....Are there any good breeders or hatcheries we can goto or is it MyPetChicken order time?!? LOL Was hoping to go local but maybe mail is the way to go...

So the wife called the 3 "local" Tractor Supplies and a Southern States. None apparently had what she is looking for that were sexed (She just wants pullets for the eggs). So now I guess my question for the fine folks of Maryland and specifically peeps in the Frederick / Thurmont /Waynesboro PA area....Are there any good breeders or hatcheries we can goto or is it MyPetChicken order time?!? LOL Was hoping to go local but maybe mail is the way to go...

Bowmans Feed and Pet have day old chicks. I just seen they had the "speckled Sussex" Monday when I was there . 410-848-3733 and they are females unless specified on the signs up there. I think each chick ran around $3.25 each. There next shipment will come in 4/10, 4/20, 5/1 for the day old chicks. They lay light brown eggs they are very good layers. The eggs are large. they mature at about 20 weeks. So after 20 weeks you can start to see eggs. You can expect approximately 240 to 260 eggs a year is what I read about them.

They also get in Silver Laced Wyandottes on 4/10, 4/20 they are docile, lay brown eggs 180-240 per year, they do good in confinement. Make good back yard chickens.

They also had the Black Australorp that came in on 4/3 when I was there. Then next shipment for them is 4/17 They also lay brown eggs.

Buff Orpington was also there. 4/3 when I was there Monday. There next shipment for more is 4-10 4-13 they lay xlarge brown eggs, right through winter with given enough light. They dont mind the cold and do well under 95 in summer. Just have plenty of water and little shade around for them. They are a gentle bird. They are the breed we started out with first.

I have had no problems knock on wood with our chicks from there.

Bowman’s Home & Garden
100 John Street
Westminster, Md. 21157
410-751-7290
Hours:
Mon- Sat 8am to 5pm
Sunday 10am to 2pm

Last edited:

Look up Maryland Poultry Swap in Sharpsburg on Facebook. It happens in April and there are a variety of breeders. It is fun to go just to look and learn even if you aren't ready to buy yet.

With our Southern States you can go to their local website (which is a local feed and seed) and they have their chick days listed with which breed they are getting and they only get sexed pullets.

The swap is coming up in a couple weeks. April 22nd.

https://www.ghfarm.org/

I'd be going but then, chicken math......

Same here...

I was going to sell but now I think not, with the new regulations. I still want to check it out since I couldn't go last year, though. I'm overrun with birds right now so hopefully that will deter me from impulse shopping (as well as limited cash in my pocket).

Last edited:
Same here...

I was going to sell but now I think not, with the new regulations. I still want to check it out since I couldn't go last year, though. I'm overrun with birds right now so hopefully that will deter me from impulse shopping (as well as limited cash in my pocket).
I've been twice. And it's only 5 minutes from my house.

The first time I bought nothing. Just wanted to check it out.

Last year I should have left the money at home!

I have been to several. I have only bought chicks and from good, known breeders with no issues. You can go and have a great time for just a few dollars. Remember don't wear the same clothes used to care for your flock there-including shoes- and to change again when you get back!

Back
Top Bottom