MARYLAND THREAD!

I am in Carroll County too. We just moved here about a year ago from Baltimore County. Gosh I love it!! We started our flock about a year ago and have grown to 40+ chickens in three coops. I am offically addicted and looking to expand more this year!
Awesome, so happy to meet you! I'm curious as to what type of coops you use, how to best protect against predators, and if your chickens are warm in this snowy winter we've had! (what type of chickens do you have?)

Awesome, so happy to meet you! I'm curious as to what type of coops you use, how to best protect against predators, and if your chickens are warm in this snowy winter we've had! (what type of chickens do you have?)
I have 3 different ones. Two are pre manufactured. And the third, i took an old well house and converted it to a three level coop. Two of my coops open to a secure run with top cover and a hot line wrapping it. The 3rd opens to a fenced yard with no cover (only boys are in this one). I havent lost any to predetars besides my stupid dog. I did loose some turkeys in the same yard as my boys, but the turkeys are a long story and they wouldnt go in their house a night and a fox or something got them.

I dont use any heat supplements, just thick bedding. None of the chickens seem cold and everyone is doing great.

I have RIR, Barred Rock, a few EEs, and a bunch of barnyard mix.

Seeing a lot of Carroll here 👊
Cecil-tucky, here! My flock is mostly Nankin bantams *the tiny red chickens at Colonial Williamsburg) with a few Kindergarten Rescues thrown in. One of those is a HUGE Jersey Giant hen ... and lemme tell ya, she sure looks silly in there with all those tiny bantams. Silly, absolutely ... but the sweetest bird I've ever had the pleasure to know. We love our big girl!

I have 3 different ones. Two are pre manufactured. And the third, i took an old well house and converted it to a three level coop. Two of my coops open to a secure run with top cover and a hot line wrapping it. The 3rd opens to a fenced yard with no cover (only boys are in this one). I havent lost any to predetars besides my stupid dog. I did loose some turkeys in the same yard as my boys, but the turkeys are a long story and they wouldnt go in their house a night and a fox or something got them.

I dont use any heat supplements, just thick bedding. None of the chickens seem cold and everyone is doing great.

I have RIR, Barred Rock, a few EEs, and a bunch of barnyard mix.
Thank you! That's a great intro and sorry about the dog... eek. I'm a little worried to how mine will react! :O Very cool!

Reposted here, based on advice from another thread:
My life has changed, and I’m having to make some tough decisions. I’m taking care of two separate flocks of birds (one ducks and one chickens) mostly by myself now (this is a change), and it’s just too much. After a lot of thought, I’ve decided that I have to disband my flock of chicken hens. I have someone taking 2 of them, but that still leaves 14 needing a home/s. Seven are 1-year old Hy-Line browns and the rest are under 2-years old. They are all laying and in good condition. Thoughts? Any ideas about how to find people who may want them? Thanks, in advance, for any help or info.

My life has changed, and I’m having to make some tough decisions. I’m taking care of two separate flocks of birds (one ducks and one chickens) mostly by myself now (this is a change), and it’s just too much. After a lot of thought, I’ve decided that I have to disband my flock of chicken hens. I have someone taking 2 of them, but that still leaves 14 needing a home/s. Seven are 1-year old Hy-Line browns and the rest are under 2-years old. They are all laying and in good condition. Thoughts? Any ideas about how to find people who may want them? Thanks, in advance, for any help or info.
Where are you located? I know a big farm that takes them in. They have cows and chickens range and help keep everything healthy. Around Mt. Airy

I would post them on Craigslist or on the sale board outside your local feed/ southern states store. This time of year if they are old enough to be currently laying in would think you could sell them quick with everyone buying chicks. I'm assuming they still lay, I don't know chickens like quail.

Back
Top Bottom