MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
I will have these to sell this Spring: Bantam Splash and Bantam Mille Fleur Cochins, and Butterscotch Call Ducks. Can meet in Cambridge/Easton/Salisbury areas if I am going near there. NPIP #51-370.
smile.png

I am a chicken Momma in North Linthicum and have had a falling out with a neighbor and they contacted codes after not having an issue after two years of me having my 5 hens (no roo!). I wrote a letter to the MD Gazette and they are going to run the story. I wanted you all to see the letter and if you have anything to add, please feel free to contact them in regards to the issue. Or keep an eye open and comment after it's posted...whatever you'd like to do. My lot is 50 x 150 and zoned "open space" but have to "get rid" of my birds by Oct. 27th. I'm kind of freaking out. If you have it in you heart and schedule to give a shout out please do - The letter is as follows...

I am writing to bring attention to an issue that I know my family is not alone in. For over two years we have kept chickens in our back yard. Five laying hens that we bought from the AAC 8th Avenue co-op at aproximately three days old. We do not keep a rooster, in order to eliminate noise issues and to keep from increasing our flock size. My family has raised these hens without incident,kept them through two extreme winters, shared our eggs freely,and composted droppings to enrich our organic garden soil. They've educated children, brough whimsey and laughter when they've pecked the cat or chased the dog, and fed our friends and family. Now due to a personal dispute with a neighbor, zoning says that although they are quiet, secured, and unintrusive to others lives,liberties, or pursuits of happiness, we have until Oct. 27th to "get rid" of them. This code is in need of change. Citizens are more concerned about nutrition, green ideals, natural resources and providing for their own families in hard times, without the use of food stamps. This started as a personal vendetta against our family, but we hope it will end with ammended codes to allow for relief of infringement upon the civil liberties of our tax paying citizens. Ours is not the only family trying live a greener lifestyle in this area, attempting to teach our children about a natural world in the midst of shootings and roberies. Where is our right to live the lifestyle we choose? One that has no negative effect on others and benefits our family and the environment around us. Even Baltimore City has changed it's ideas about back yard chickens! When we were initially stationed here 11 years ago, Anne Arundel County was touted as an agricultural area. There are many families with backyard chickens in the area, are they safe only until a neighbor becomes miffed by some mundane issue and then off with their heads? This is a basic infringement of our civil liberties, not just chicken $%*!

Not my most eloquently written piece but I was in quite a twist when I put keys to screen!
Thanks!
Jane

A compare and contrast to vicious dogs might be an attention getter.

When is the last time you heard of a HEN attacking and killing a child?
My hens do not stay up all night barking.
My hens do not run the neighborhood and leave huge piles of poop in everyone's yard.
My hens don't harm postmen and delivery people.

I think you have my point. I'd suggest cruising the laws and ordinances threads for more help. Good luck! You might be able to claim your property should be "grandfathered" since you've had them so long.

That really sounds like a crock. Is it a county code issue, or a local subdivision issue, HOA??

I'm local, in Glen Burnie, and unfamilar with any county regulations that state NO. I did a little home work, and chickens were not stated in any county animal codes. Upon contact with animal control, and the wonderful (ahem) county officials, I could not get a straight answer 3 yrs ago. So I said heck with it an got them anyway, ain't my first questionable legal issue. No one with the county could tell me if chickens qualified as livestock, pet, or food source.

I asked the local animal control officer when they were in the area for another issue about chickens, and was told..."Well, this is my area, and I ain't got an issue with it."

Keep us informed, and I keep a look out for the Gazette.

God Bless,
TNT

Just had 15 silkie chicks hatch!! http://tinysilkiesermagirl.blogspot.com/2011/10/pictures.html Will probably have them up for sale in two-three weeks, straight run obviously unless someone can tell me how to sex silkies. Forpick up only, definitely to cold for the little ones to be shipped. I'd love to keep them, but unfortunetly I'm alittle low on space, winter is coming and I'm in the middle of building a new coop. I'll probably keep a few, but there's no way I can keep 15 at this time. So if anyone wants any PM me. I have Black, Blue, White and Splash and one that has the coloring and markings of a Chipmunk, so I have no idea what you'd call that one. I also have a 3 week old Lavender

Quote:
The Chipmonk would be a Partridge. like the little girl you seen in my run when we went up to pick up Cotton.

Ah okay, I wonder how that one got in there, they're supposed to be all BBS and white. But I LOVE Chipmunk, the most awesome coloring pattern I have ever seen on a silkie. God I hope it turns out to be tiny, I want to keep it SO bad. Did you see the White one with the spots on it's head? It has black and white stripes down it's back, very neat.

Quote:
The Chipmonk would be a Partridge. like the little girl you seen in my run when we went up to pick up Cotton.

Ah okay, I wonder how that one got in there, they're supposed to be all BBS and white. But I LOVE Chipmunk, the most awesome coloring pattern I have ever seen on a silkie. God I hope it turns out to be tiny, I want to keep it SO bad. Did you see the White one with the spots on it's head? It has black and white stripes down it's back, very neat.

Heres what "Snookie" looked like as a baby

253912_130000233746665_100002100667846_237385_3319175_n.jpg

248460_130000087080013_100002100667846_237379_6580568_n.jpg

This is her a couple months ago, she has more "poof" now (hense her name "Snookie" lol)

205944_154845901262098_100002100667846_331689_4194887_n.jpg

But no I didnt see the little white one! You'll have to email me some photos of that one!

Last edited:
Quote:

Those are not splash, they are partridge, the one with the white stripes will be your female. The two toned will be your males. It looke like you have one blue in the group. Where did you get the eggs, are they from your flock or did you buy them? Because there is a HUGE difference between Blue & Partridge.
This is a Blue
20866_dscn3061.jpg

Partridge
20866_dscn3057.jpg

Splash
20866_dscn1632.jpg

Splash chicks at hatch are a grey/blue color simular to Lavender. They don't get thier "splashes" until about 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom