MARYLAND THREAD!

Pics
Hi there MD peeps! I started with chicks this spring and never thought I would become so attached to a flock of birds. In the spring when the "girls" went out to their coop, one of them let out a really loud "cock-a-doodle-doo" needless to say, she is really a he! It wasn't a problem all summer and he is really a sweet boy. Today the county zoning official knocked on my door and told me I had two weeks to get rid of him because of complaints from the neighbors. I really don't want him killed and he is really a beautiful roo.

185098_4136382860143_1770944350_n.jpg

I live in NE Carroll County but am willing to transport him to a good home. I really do not want him to be killed!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just a quick update..I found Beast a new home and we took him there today. Kathy rescues all kinds of foul and she invited my daughter and I over to see his new digs and meet the rest of her flock. I am heartbroken that I had to re-home him but am very happy with the home we found for him. Thanks for the ideas from here!

SS of Mt Airy isn't carrying organic chick starter any longer. TSC doesn't carry anythng organic. Anybody ever bought feed at the organic place in Westminster?

Hi, I live in Elkton, MD. Not in town. I have 1/2 acre. When I checked for chickens, I was told i needed 2 acres. This was back in 2009. Have you had any luck with the county yet?

Thanks,
Dan

Hi, I live in Elkton, MD. Not in town. I have 1/2 acre. When I checked for chickens, I was told i needed 2 acres. This was back in 2009. Have you had any luck with the county yet?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan, according to the Cecil County zoning laws chickens are considered agricultural which is allowed in all zones with no requirements to lot size. However, animal husbandry, which is described as raising any animal other than dogs or cats require at least 1 acre.
Here is a link to the complete county zoning laws:
http://www.ccgov.org/uploads/PlanningAndZoning/General/ZO_Entirety.pdf

Definitions begin on page 24.
Table of Permissible Uses is on page 97

Thanks,
Dan

Unless your neighbors complain, I really don't think the county cares... or has the resources to bother you about it. (God only knows if they're ever going to get the current lack of Animal Control sorted out!) I'm lucky enough to actually have two acres, but I could point out 10-15 homes within a couple of miles of me that have chickens on lots of half an acre or less, and have had them for years.

I'm in the lower Fair Hill/upper Singerly area, btw.

Just curious about my BYC neighbors. Anybody in need of renting a whizbang style plucker? I made one in the spring and will use it again around the first of November and then again in 3-4 weeks. But if you are interested PM me and we can work something out.

It is a great time saver!

My cousins live there. Gooseberry is the name of it, right? You can try it. I use a natural feed that has the oyster shells, grit, and extra omegas in it. I may switch to organic, though.

It is. If you decide to go there, they just moved locations. Still in Westminster though. Apparently Bowman's also carries Blue Seal organic feed as well.

I'm thinking of going soy-free and ordering 3 months worth of feed for all the critters in one fell swoop and picking it up from Countryside in VA at the Leesburg delivery stop. It would be so much easier than going to pick up feed every few weeks for this critter, then running out for that critter a few days later and going back to the store.

Hello fellow Marylanders! I'm having trouble re-homing 4 of my roosters. I've tried everything. Not a single call from the ad I put up in the local feed store or vet's office. These are all bantams - 3 Black-tailed White Japanese and 1 Serama. I bought these eggs from fellow BYCer's. They hatched on 7/8/12, they're almost 4 months old. They're healthy and pretty. I'm willing to deliver if within a reasonable distance. In order that I know they're wanted, I'm asking $15 each but that price is negotiable. It's most important to me that they get a good home. I don't want to put them on Craigslist. The little Serama roo is getting the bad end since he is smallest. He needs a female friend of his own! I live outside Chestertown on the eastern shore. If you have room for any or can help, please let me know. Here are a few pictures. The Black-tailed White roos look alike but the Serama has black/silver and a brown patch on his back. Thanks!

Black-tailed White Japanese bantam roos

Close-up of Black-tailed White

Serama roo

Serama roo is up front in middle

Back
Top Bottom