MARYLANDER HERE---PORT DEPOSIT, MD

M@M@2four

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
USA
Hello to all!
big_smile.png
From Port Deposit, MD here! Cecil County for those who aren't quite sure where I am from!
smile.png
We own a small farm here with silkies, polish, buff orpingtons, call ducks, and mandarin ducks(both white and standard colored).

Well I am glad I found you. I wanted to ask someone about silkies. I havnt been able to find much info on them. Please dont mind my silly questions. They ar SO pretty, are they mostly for looks or are they good layers? Are they sensitive to cold or fairly hearty in the winter? Are they a bantam? We have 12 other chicken, 5 different breeds. Would it be wise to mix them? What do you think? I just want to be armed with some facts, when I say "But Honey, they are really pretty can I get some?!" Thank you so much for your time.
smile.png

Hello! To answer your question, they are AMAZING chickens! Besides them bein' just plain pretty, they're WONDERFUL mothers--they are known actually to be the best sitters out there in the chicken world and will actually sit on each others eggs. My hens rotate--they actually trade shifts! lol And they're great layers! I had over 20 eggs this morning and have about 12 hens in one large run with one rooster. The weather's cold here, so I'm sure I'll have even more when it warms up. I also have a buff orpington pair in there with them, which they get along wonderfully with--the silkie rooster doesn't fight with the orpington rooster. And they don't try to mate with each others breed. And they have great fertilty rates. I hatched a batch of 8 a few weeks ago and 7 out of 8 were fertile! I'm letting my girls sit on clutches as well. I have a little boy partridge silkie named, "prince"--he actually comes to my door to be held. He roosts on my feet while I'm on the computer--major love bug! They purr...no joke. I can hold them like babies, cradled in my arm and they don't kick or flap their wings--just lay there and purr like kittens. And their feathers are like petting a persian cat's fur...there's nothing like it! So, just tell hubby, "PLEASE?!?!"
smile.png
lol The best place to get them is at your local poultry shows. I get my best silkies there and at reasonable prices. Good luck!
God bless,
Tracey

They sound like they have a very sweet disposition.
smile.png
The fact that they are good layers is def a plus too as we share our eggs with others! I am very excited now! Thank you so much for all of your wonderful and helpful information. Can't wait to talk to hubby!

"Whitehallgamepullet"-
Where in BC do you live? I grew up in Baltimore County! Very cool! I also lived in Harford County a few years ago and now I live in Cecil County!
smile.png
You weren't at the Susquehanna poultry show a few weeks ago or the Harrington DE show this past weekend, were you? Cause I was at both.
big_smile.png

The ChickenChick~
They are amazing chickens! I have my little rooster sleeping in my lap right now as I type.
smile.png
He comes in for visits in the morning. Good luck with convincing hubby!!!
smile.png
Too bad you don't live close by--we just hatched babies.
smile.png

M@M@2four :

The ChickenChick~
They are amazing chickens! I have my little rooster sleeping in my lap right now as I type.
smile.png
He comes in for visits in the morning. Good luck with convincing hubby!!!
smile.png
Too bad you don't live close by--we just hatched babies.
smile.png

Congrats on your new arrivals! I do wish I were closer. I am not sure how easy Silkies are to come by in Montana? Does any one know? I have also seen them online. However most minimums are 25 birds and I just cant add that many, yet!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom