Mason Jar Waterers && Feeders

Do you useMason Jar Waterers && Feeders.?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

sandusky28

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 23, 2012
D.gif
Hello.! I have seen on websites and Facebook pages that people build feeders and waterers out of Mason Jars. My family cans so i have pleanty of jars. Could someone please give me directions/pictures/instructions on how to make them.?

Thanks.!
jumpy.gif

I had a mason jar that screwed into my water base. One day, recently, I was in a rush. i was not careful when flipped it over to put down. I dropped in in the coop....on the cement block I have it on to keep shavings out. I had to clean the majority of my coop out before I could go to work so that the feather kids would not try to eat the glass. I can't see me using glass again.

You can see various types of mason jar feeders/waterers if you go to eBay and type in "chicken feeder" or similar search words. I have used this type of feeder before, the base for which you can purchase at most feed stores and then you just add your own jar. Hopefully, the photos on eBay will provide a good idea if you are planning on building a base yourself. You did not ask about placement but I thought I would add a tip that I discovered myself after having so much food wasted by my birds. It will cut down significantly on waste if you place/suspend your feeder away from the sides of your coop or structure and elevate it to about breast height. This will prevent the chickens from knocking the feeder against the structure and will also keep them from using their feet to scratch out the food.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom