Mass/bulge on neck

daxigait

Free Ranging
8 Years
Aug 10, 2015
SW Missouri
I have a hen that has like a mass on the side of her neck. It is under the feathers and doesn't appear to be a wound of any kind and it's somewhere between the size of a golf ball and a tennis ball. Does anyone know what this might be it's on actually two and one is struggling to walk and stay upright it seems to be really affecting her and the other just cocks and holds her head funny, and goes on about life but I don't know what it is or how to treat it.

Pictures and videos will help us determine what is going on with your birds.

Well I tried to take a picture on the roost last night but you can't really see it well enough with the bird not up and going I will try to figure something out this evening. I've had a bit of trouble getting a picture this week because I can't get home before dark

Good pictures of the 2 chickens would be helpful, to see if there are ingrown feather cysts, tumors or whatever. A type of skin cancer can occur around the neck on some birds.

When I go my hands on them to check it is not a mass. Rather it is like the neck is crooked.
IMG_20231116_170820576.jpg

Could they have wry neck, when the neck twists to one side? It can also twist upward (star gazing) or downward between the legs, and is a neurological symptom. During wry neck they will keep the head toward that side. A picture of them from the front tomorrow may be helpful.

That's one of them sitting facing forward on the edge of the poop board. I guess I need to read up on that condition.

Back
Top Bottom