Mass Murder last night

Quote:
I agree with you about it being a basic instinct of dogs, and some breeds more than others. I had my own unfortunate experience with my own dog. He had to be "retrained" and my kids cried the whole time I did it. Leaving out the gory details, it involved a dead bird on a rope and a stout stick in my hand. I'm happy to say it worked, and now the dogs treat the birds with the same gentleness they give to the kids. The girls have even been seen in their food and water dishes with no problems.

I live out side city limits and the County Sheriff came after many problems and said. " There is no County Animal Control so you as the property owner have to shoot problem animals" I have a gutter down spout saved in my barn where dogs ripped it off my house trying to get a wild bunny that ran into it for safety. I have lost many poultry to running dogs. If and when you meet the dog owners dont you feel guilty one lick. They have a responsabilty to pen and control their dogs. If they say one word file a complaint of visious animals take pics of your damage and file charges. At the very least they owe you for the loss of birds and damage to pen and structure. Mistakes happen and if they come and say they are very sorry thats all cool. But a little tough love with them may send a message to many others who want to move to the country where there dog (s) can run. Man I am burning off some steam today! Hugs to you from Kansas and a fellow poultry lover

A copy of all relevant dog laws in AL can be found here: http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stusalst3_1_1_3_8_1.htm#s3_1

I've
had problems with the neighbor's dog, who has been killing my chickens one by one. Here in NH they can be cited for breaking several laws, including dogs running at large, dogs killing/harassing livestock, and dogs being a menace. The local police finally issued the owner a summons, and they have to appear in court. You should be able to recoup financial losses. And the owners should have to pay a substantial fine.

Good luck! And I'm so sorry about your babies....

I came looking in this forum because a few nights ago a dog broke into our pen and killed one of our girls. Who knew I'd cry over one silly hen? Anyway, no one in the area has seen this dog, and we weren't able to trap it. My husband is now prepared with a small gun. We have a dog, but she's older and couldn't hear it happening. She has been known to "cuddle" with the girls and let them peck her face!

It makes me angry that people are so inconsiderate with their animals. In our case, the horrible thing busted under a weak point in the fence to get to her. As an animal lover, I never thought I'd say this but... Good for you for getting the dogs that killed your babies. Once dogs get a taste they will not stop.

Anyway, hang in there. You're doing all you can do.

I am so sorry you lost your hens in such a horrible manner. Dogs become something wild when they run in a pack. In the future don't confront them unarmed.

In my neighborhood, so many people have lost their homes, just about every fourth or fifth house is vacant. The people just walk off and leave them. They leave the animals too. You can't rent an apartment with a couple of pit bulls.

Now we have packs of abandoned dogs roaming the area. Last week a park maintenace man was attacked in the park. They are not sure if he is going to live or die.

Do be very cautious when dealing with strange feral dogs.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom