MASSACHUSETTS -- haha hope i spelled that right .. Question though?

galxox

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
How do you keep chickens in our Cold New England winters???? i want to get chickens but im quite stumped by that question

Hi. I live in Ma and this winter was the first my chickens had to live through. The breeder I bought my young pullets from told me it is lethal to heat the coops. I looked at his breeding pens and he told me as long as they can get out of the wind and weather and they have a place to roost at night, you'll have no problem. He was right, we got through the winter with no issues. Keep in mind that other parts of the country get much colder than around here, so others may heat their coops but you should not have a problem. Just think of the owls and hawks that live outdoors, pigeons that live where ever than can and they make it year after year. Good luck with your birds, you can't go wrong.

Thanks, that really helped i was really worried about that. Its just so weird like i dont know i guess i feel bad i don't want them to be cold
hit.gif
, but your right like pigeons and owls they all live. This is real good i love this site it is helping me out so much, i really wanted chickens but i didn't know where to start. But i found it here haha thank you for your help

If you live here now I hope you learn how to spell it!
lol.png
Where in Mass do you live? Like House said, as long as they stay out of the wind they will be fine. Moisture is the biggest enemy and this winter we have had a lot of it. Keep the coop dry, clean and draft free (not air tight) and they will make it through just fine.

Richard

I live in Mass and i heat my coop and it sure makes me feel better. It makes my life alot easier too because i keep the water near the heat lamp and the water does not freeze. I go by alot of houses that have coops and i see the heat lamps on. I also think it might depend on that area of Mass you live in. There is a town 20 minutes south of my town and 3 weeks ago they had NO snow left....not even in the woods, and we still had 3 feet. I had never realized how much weather could vary in small state. Because of my chickens, i notice alot of things i never thought about before.

MaransGuy i live in Worcester, its about 45-60 minutes away from Boston, how would i make it so there was no moisture? And about the draft i was reading some posts earlier about circulation do i really need the circulation because wouldn't that make a draft?? && about spelling Massachusetts right haha you never know with me. I remember awhile back when i lived in Alabama (long story was only there for a couple months) but anyways while i was down there i was in a history class and the teacher was absent and there was a sub and she gave out this crossword and one of the questions was what is the bay state ? hahahha after living in Mass all my life i didn't know what the Bay state was ahah How sad
sad.png

And
Lurky
myself i would probably feel better too if my (future) coop was heated, but like i don't know.. how do you heat yours ? How much money was it if you don't mind me asking? Do you have to run a cord or something from your house? haha i think that might be a silly question!! Well in the area of Mass that i live in uhh we get a fair amount of snow right about now is when all our snow has cleared up and we can get snow starting in November. I remember last Thanksgiving there was snow, but this year none. So yea
big_smile.png

I put a flat panel heater in my coop this winter on a thermo cube plug so it goes on at 35 and off at 45...I also had a heat lamp in the coop as well. I did this as my girls were born in Sept and didn't get outside until December!!! The coop just didn't get finished! I agree with Lurky, it is very much piece of mind for me as well! I will be removing the heat lamp, but keeping the flat panel heater in for the coming winters. I also have a remote thermostat and humidity indicator so I can keep an eye on things from my house!

We ran elec. underground to the coop. I hear with a heat lamp just like the brooder heat lamp. we have it hanging just up out of the way, and its hung by chains and hooks that it cannot come off of. I lost a relative in a fire so i worry about it more than normal. My husband knows how to do electrical so i was lucky on that one. I am not sure what the cost was for power because it varies so much anyway. I think if you can get power in the coop, the heat lamp is the way to go.

I love the idea of the Flat panel heater i like how it goes on at 35 and shuts off at 45 thats a great idea. You guys information is so helpful thank you so much. Hahah okay so i have another Question ?? Where should i get some pullets, id like chicks to just cause there cute haha. But really is it okay to order them from sites? or should i look for someone locally ?
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom