Massacre at my house - Update with the neighbor

Thanks, I know I didn't charge him enough for the birds and I didn't charge for the material damage. I believe in being neighborly and he says he won't turn the electric fence off again. He also said he plans to in large the fenced in area and the electric fence so the dogs will have a larger place to run around. He was very nice and still very apologetic.

I'm still sad about the loss of my chickens but I feel good about being neighborly and not sticking it to him.

jackie

Jackie, You have a win win situation now - even if you didn't get 100% compensation. You have a good neighbor who you know will do his best to keep his dogs away from your birds and without causing more hard feelings.

A friend is a lawyer - an honest lawyer which is rare. He was once handling a case for another friend who was suing a cousin for part of the family business. He told her that they could go to court and she would probably win but at the loss of family - was it worth it? We were talking a multi-million dollar clothing business that the grandfather handed down to one son and not all who had helped to build it. Most lawyers would have encouraged the suit just for his cut. But not this lawyer - he spent his life trying to help people see the long term effects of lawsuits.

When I read your reply it made me think of him and I had to write to congratulate you. In spite of your hurt, you decided to take the high ground.

You did fine...
love.gif

If you both come to an agreement, it is better for both to take a loss rather than have hard feelings and problems in the future.

Hope this doesn't happen to you again.

Someone asked what kind of dogs can tear through fencing and the answer is just about any dog large enough to kill a small animal. I had some rabbits growing up and 2 dogs tore through the hutches, killed them and drug them around the yard. People should really train their dogs better and contain them better. I have a red heeler that works cows and goats and I have worked very hard to train her not to chase smaller animals. In fact, she won't even work livestock unless I tell her to. I practiced walking her in the chicken coop on a leash to get her used to chickens. There really is no excuse for letting your dogs run free. Contain them or be prepared to have them run over, shot, or damaging other people's things.

I'm glad he worked with you! Some neighbors wouldn't understand nor take responsibility. Kudos for being neighborly to a neighborly neighbor!

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been there myself. Read my new post you will see.
Hope you recover as I am try too!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom