Massacre at my house - Update with the neighbor

I agree about filing a police report even if he has said he would compensate you. Also get any witness reports, pictures, and receipts together.
He may balk at the actual price of the chickens. Even if he does come through, if (God forbid) this happens again to you or a neighbor, his dogs will be on record as having killed other animals.

More innocent beings killed by dogs - I am so so very sorry to hear this. I can imagine your sorrow, having discovered chickens attacked by dogs, in terrible pain and filled with terror. My heart in my throat, anger seething toward the irresponsible humans.

Excellent advice in the many prior posts.

Owners of dogs who attack and/or murder need to understand that the value of the birds goes way beyond the cost to buy, feed and otherwise care for them. These innocent beings will never enjoy another day because their lives were brutally cut short, just as if the attacking dog was murdered by a bunch of drunk teenagers in one frenzied moment that can't be undone.

Anything any of us can do to get the word out to people to be more careful with their dogs, whether a flyer on community bulletin boards and in pet food stores, a letter to the editor.....etc. with examples of devastating stories of what bad things "good" dogs really can do. Anything that educates. And hope that knowledge spreads. Here's a guy that said he didn't even know his retrievers might retrieve a moving fluff ball! Good grief! Doesn't anybody think anymore?

It is good that he wants to compensate you but as we all know, there really is no adequate compensation. However, the highest possible dollar figure must always be applied so that the collective consciousness out there is that it is expensive to be irresponsible with dogs. I erred in this once, because I lost the person's name and phone number after her dog nearly murdered my roo. Countless hundreds in vet bills, weeks off work giving round the clock care.....she should have felt the expense of some of that because then the odds of her letting the dog off the leash again would have been far less and she no doubt would have told the story to others who then might have been more careful with their dogs. Could kick myself for losing her number but was so immersed in trying to save this sweet roo that I was probably distracted and dropped it somewhere. I never saw her again and she never came back to see if the roo lived or died.

My condolences during this very sad time :aww
JJ

I wouldn't file a police report on him if he is willing to pay back what his dogs killed. This will only make him not like you, I would just tell him to make sure it never happens again.
smile.png

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies :

Call the cops and tell them you want to make a report.

Jackie, I will leave the pricing to the others that are much more knowledgable than I am about such things....just wanted to extend my condolences and second what Flufnstuffs said, definitely file a police report, so that there is an official record of the whole sad thing.​

big_smile.png
Good I hope it all works out for you.
I remember reading on a fourm maybe this one of a person who was
willing to pay untill he saw the bill then refused to pay anything....
And another one that said they would pay but the next day refused to talke to the people at all
to even get a bill. Wouldn't answer the phone or answer the door..

SO PLEASE STILL TAKE YOUR PICS AND FILE A REPORT.

Get this settled fast so they can't rethink the whole thing.

Hugs
hugs.gif

So sorry about this horrifying event. We just went through a similar situation. But also thankful you have the peace of mind knowing what/who did it. And can monitor things--having good relationship with this particular neighbor. I hope things go well with your neighbor. Keep us updated.

Take care, Lee

What an awful feeling - just horrible seeing those little fluffy bodies strewn around! We lost a number of our chickens to a dog attack early this year - not valuable but heartbreaking nonetheless. And we have no idea whose dog it was. I agree that you should get all your information and documentation down. If he doesn't pay up quick then off to the police with all your stuff! I hope this all works out well for you in the long run despite the heartache and trauma!

I would definitely file a report.
He may be willing to pay now, thinking a few dollars for each bird, but he may very well change his mind and get nasty once he realizes how much the cost will be when you include fencing and repairs to the coop/runs.
It would be very wise on your part to get something in writing from people who have 25 week old birds that you had just so the value can be verified.

Good luck with this.

Back
Top Bottom