massacre

mrs_ed

Songster
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Phx, AZ
i went out yesterday morning to feed and water everybody and found all 7 of my 3 week old speckled sussex scattered across the yard, all dead. I bought these from bargain here on byc and was so looking forward to them, they had just started to show their beautiful coloring, also dead was my 7 week old olive egger roo. the only survivor was my olive egger pullet, (who was my favorite!) I heard some peeps from behind the futon on the patio and when I walked over she came out and I was so thankful she was ok. I have no clue what happened, no signs of harm except the brooder was knocked over and the bodies were scattered. we dont get cats bc of my dog, a friend mentioned maybe someone came in the yard and smashed them all, they did look kind of smushed.
sad.png
whatever it was i am so sad!

now my sweet little pullet thats 6 weeks who has always been attached to me is in a dog crate by herself and when I go outside just peeps and paces and wants to be held 24/7. I sit outside and she just sits on my lap and if she ventures off as soon as she realizes she is more that 6 feet away from me she comes running back.

I feel so bad for her being the only one left but do not want to introduce a 6 week old into the flock. I have 6 hens that are 20 weeks and I do not trust them to take kindly to her. Anyone have any suggestions for this sad family?

I had a similar situation with a chick. I looked on craigslist for someone with a chick -any breed- that was the same age. After a little pecking (literally less than an hour's worth) they were inseparable.

hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your losses. I hope you find out what caused this massacre. I also pray that you find new friends for your baby.

That sounds like a dog attack to me. I've had it happen a couple of times, and that was almost exactly what the "crime scene" looked like. If you are sure it wasn't your own, maybe it was a stray, or a coyote?

Our dog Ginger did that once and killed 14 chicks.... She has now learned that is a bad idea and shows no interest in them...When we are watching that is.

So so sorry. I keep reading these horror story's and all these losses. so sad
hugs.gif
I am so happy you found your baby. Go on Craigs list in your area and you will find a few juveniles to be with your baby girl. You need to do good for her right?

Quote:
Is it just me or is that I really odd suggestion? Sounds very specific and unlikely unless you see the seen and it looks that way.

Anyhow, sorry for your loss. I know how attached we were and how hard it was to lose some of our chicks, and that was only the first week we got them!

Any chance your dog could have gotten hold of them?

Thank you all for replying. I am glad to hear it sounds like a dog attack! I thought that if my dog got to them he would have bit into them or eaten parts of them...they were all left whole, no feathers everywhere just kinda laying flat. I guess one chomp and they would be crushed....he is a 90lb lab.....but I suppose it must have been my stupid dog! ugh!

Its just baffling because my dog has been around chicks and chickens for 6 months now, he would let the babies crawl on him, absolutely no problems, my adult hens free range around him everyday all day and no problems. I am so confused but maybe he just had a crazy moment in the middle of the night. Maybe a cat woke him up by the brooder and the madness started, knocking over their cage and then things got crazy idk. It just makes me sick that I spent good money on those sussex and hatched them and they were all thriving and so adorable, all dead and scattered. I always see peoples stories and think aww thats so sad Im glad thats never happened to me. Well, I cant believe it happened
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom