Massive corn shortage expected in 2022. Tips for long term storage of feed?

Might get tired of cornbread

Does not compute!

LostInSpaceRobot1.jpg

I watch Ag Day, US Farm Report, and a few other "morning" (if by morning, you mean the period of time when the sun is having its coffee before getting up and going about its day) shows when I can't sleep. They've been discussing the impact of oil prices and supply chain disruptions on fertilizer supplies. Their overall assessment is that prices will come up further - how much further is very crop dependent, as some crops need far more nitrogen fertilizer than others, with estimates ranging from an extra $40 - $130 per acre in increased fertilizer costs. Supply chains are already flexing around increased transportation costs, and the trains are (mostly) moving again. I don't expect mass shortages, I do expect further inflationary pressures.

Dried whole grains - the sort of things that make up most chicken feed - store very well, and I expect my local mills will continue to do so. Once crushed, the extra surface area speeds oxidation, which diminishes some vitamins, but certainly not all. So I'm better off buying what they have stored, and only recently crushed, instead of buying what they have crushed, and trying to store it myself. Apart from oxygen, I also have to concern myself with moisture, the molds etc in my always moist air, insects, and rodents - that's a lot of extra risk for me to take on.

I'll be adjusting flock size further, considering increasing egg costs to my buyers, and continuing to develop my acres of weeds - thinking of scattering some combination of sorghum, teff, amaranth, buckwheat and/or hard winter wheat this Spring to add to the variety. The legumes, herbs, forbs, and grasses in my pasture are all doing ok to well, but I'm low on actual grains. Oh, and I'll be scattering more methi (fenugreek), too.

That said, my solutions are impractical for most, and even with my acres, and the assumed additional grain production, it only bends the feed curve a bit. Its impractical, and not cost effective, to try and provide a nutritionallly complete "home grown" feed for my birds - and I'm in one of the most forgiving climates in this nation.
Bravo! Whether or not this thread was started by a Russian bot, it's still got a lot of good information in it. I'm toying lacing/replacing my regular lawn with sustainable "weeds". The problem I have is finding a good blend.
@U_Stormcrow Where did you get sorghum, teff, amaranth, buckwheat and/or hard winter wheat from? Farm store?

Bravo! Whether or not this thread was started by a Russian bot, it's still got a lot of good information in it. I'm toying lacing/replacing my regular lawn with sustainable "weeds". The problem I have is finding a good blend.
@U_Stormcrow Where did you get sorghum, teff, amaranth, buckwheat and/or hard winter wheat from? Farm store?

I don't know how much "yard" you plan to do - while I have acres, I'm not doing commercial plantings, so if I can't get a mix with what I want (and of course, I can't with these things), I have to make it myself. I need bigger quantities than Burpee Seed packs, but not 50# commercial bags. So I went to Amazon....

Those who follo my posts on the "Feeding my Flock Forum" know I place no value on "Organic". So why did I buy a bunch of "Organic" seed from Anthony's? Because I know it will sprout.

In this case, the label ensures its not been treated in at least a couple of the ways that make it fine for human consumption, but useless for sprouting. I could have purchased whole teff seeds (hard to find, flour is much easier to find, but obviously useless for this), but its not due to ship for months, at which point, my climate would be too hot for it to establish. and hard winter wheat is avalable thru Palouse brand on Amazon and a few others in quantities appropriate for hardcore bakers, and overseeding as I am doing. Decided to skip on it this year, but keeping my eye out for cereal rye, which I know does well in my area - I just need to drive across the border to the co-op.

Hope that helps!

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange has a few interesting things. Baker Creek used to but many of their grains have disappeared.

If you rmember back a few days there was discussion of sprouting seeds for fodder. I take the mud pie saucers of 3 inch tall sprouts with a thick root mat and cut or tear it into one inch square plugs for planting. It would be too tedious for acres but is a good way to get a uniform stand in a backyard plot.

Chickens can and do eat whole kernel corn. I've seen them destroy dried kernels still on the cob as well. The relatively thin walls of the kernel, plus the crushing action in their crops, makes whole kernel corn not much trouble for them to digest, unlike some other, more fibrous cereal grains.

Even so, cracked is prefered.

Most grocery stores throw away a lot of vegetable trimmings every day. We get a large carton (free) from our local market and the chicks love it. It’s mostly lettuce trimmings but often includes other things as well. Just be careful to sort out anything that might be dangerous for them to eat.

Back
Top Bottom