Massive corn shortage expected in 2022. Tips for long term storage of feed?

a lot of the current (US) research is in reducing Nitrogen inputs, to reduce nitrogen outputs in our chickens, by reducing the protein fed to them. Not only is it cheaper for them to feed up front, but its cheaper for them to dispose of the waste out back - and yes, commercial poultry ops do sell the outputs.
If the outputs are being sold as fertilizer, why endeavor to reduce the nitrogen?

It’s being reported
I think you're playing fast-and-loose with the word "reported" here.
that due to fertilizer shortages and massive increases in cost, there will be huge crop shortages and shortages of many staples especially corn this year.
I'm curious why you claim that's what is being reported, when the only remotely serious source you cited (agriculture.com) says nothing of the sort. If you're relying on Zero Hedge's regurgitation...under a pseudonym taken from a Brad Pitt movie...of some nut-job author's nonsense as the source of said "reporting" then you might as well be citing The National Enquirer.

I hope that more farmers adopt a way of growing that is regenerative to the soil, so fewer fertilizers are needed. There has to be a way to do it at large scale, and I think it would be way more sustainable (and better for the water table, fewer chemical run offs). Just thinking out lout here. I grow a garden and put aside stuff for my chickens that I can dehydrate. Might work for you OP?

Because normally, it only reduces the costs of transporting off site/"disposal", it doesn't pay for itself. Much as most city recycling programs are money losing ventures.
Thanks for replying! So, less nitrogen reduces the hauling cost? I’m guessing because it reduces potential toxicity?

The economy is funny. Some things are “cheap” because the total cost isn’t figured into the price…like bottled water is cheap because the water company or the consumer don’t directly pay for the disposal cost of the empty bottle, including recycling, litter pickup, etc.

I live where corn is grown. Neighbor ( seed dealer) is worried about the availability of getting fertilizer next spring. Friends (farmers ) are making plans to cut back on corn planting.
If I were you ( I did this here) I would buy some metal trash cans and buy some corn it will last. Mine has lasted fine along with my wheat berries, and whole oats. My corn was only a dollar more @TSC. Oats are doubled and I have 75# of wheat still. I do keep extra chicken feed on hand in case of shortages , but I only have a SMALL 4 hen flock.

A corn shortage does not mean that there will be no corn available to feed the flock. I means you will be paying more for it. Growing chckens in the back yard is not cost effective now. It will be even less cost effective next year. No big deal. It's still cheap entertainment.
This is not correct. Someone will go without corn because there is not enough to go around. Basic resources are not cell phones, and the law of supply and demand breaks down often when dealing with resources. Granted, it is far more likely than that someone will be in a third world country, but marginal consumers like us could also find themselves out of the game. We are already in a situation where China has bought 60% of existing grain reserves, what do you think Cargill and/or large chicken and pork producers are going to do if there is insufficient corn?

I'm a rural person in an area where grain doesn't grow that easily, and have had personal experience over the past year going to different feed stores to find all flock, and having the stores be out of stock. Because of this, I will keep an extra bag or two of corn and other feed just in case, because I'm probably at the tail end of the distribution. Better safe than sorry.

About a third of the corn crop is used for feeding livestock. Over a third (40%) is used for making ethanol. The rest is for making human food and beverage, industrial uses or is exported to China.

Soybean is substituted for some of the corn in livestock feed when corn prices are high. When ethanol prices increase people who can will switch to gasolina. China buys less when corn prices are high. Backyard chicken keepers using scratch or whole corn are less sensitive to corn prices than other corn users. We won't let the ladies go hungry.

Back
Top Bottom