Match me a breed.

We got some New Hampshire Reds from a local breeder. One turned out to be a roo and we absolutely LOVE how friendly they are. In fact, the roo, which we named Red, will eat out of my hand and comes over to me more than the ladies. We got them when they were just a few days old and picked them up often.

We bought the reds along with some EE's, which also yielded a roo, Charlie, and also three Barred Rocks. They all integrated into our mature flock without any incidents, even with our big guy, Buster (Speckled Sussex.) They haven't started laying yet but I have read that New Hampshire Reds can tend to go broody. I hope so! View attachment 2472251View attachment 2472252

We have a large pen that we built a coop in at the fence corner. Most chickens don't need a lot of space. I hope you find what you're looking for!
Thank you. :) I just prefer my animals to have as much space as possible. BUT in the winter chickens would need to be OK with a smaller area. {25x50 or so} We have a lot of predators and I'm not making a 20 acre "pen" with a cover on it to keep the eagles out. LOL

I Have had a mixed flock for five years, and found that if they all look different they generally accept each other well enough. We hatch out once a year from a hen that goes broody and when the birds look alike, factions start to form, which I don’t like. I’ve had no luck keeping Wyandottes but they are super sweet. The australorps are so sweet, are great layers and a great broody mom. My buff Orpingtons are friendly, great layers and good moms. We have an Easter egger that follows us and chases our dog, my daughter carries her around all the time but she’s not a consistent layer. My favorite hen was a white leghorn. They say the breed is flighty but to to us. She would come sit with us any time we were outside. She laid an egg every day and was such a sweetheart. Our coocoo marans is big and sweet, not overly friendly but a good temperament with people, other chickens, and our dog/cat. Two new girls this spring are cinnamon Queen (Rhode Island red/white or leghorn mix I think). Super friendly, good layers. My Sussex is super friendly and chatty to me and my family but she gets underfoot and can be quite mean/bossy to the other hens. She’s not the alpha either. Perhaps it’s just her personality or that we spoil her since she survived the neighbor dog’s attack. She’s kind of a diva really. I got all mine as chicks from our Southern States and they got them from Cackle Hatchery. Beautiful breeds that could be shown if you were into that, but they are all cold hardy, friendly enough, healthy and good layers. We free range but mine adapt to being locked in their coop with a run underneath. They stay in during snowy weather.

Last edited:
Black Australorp are a wonderful breed! Calm, friendly, broody, and excellent mothers. Winter layers, too.

One question? Why would you want to keep them cooped in the winter? We live in southern Missouri and get cold, snowy winters. I open the coop door and there is a mad dash to get outside. Weather doesn't seem to matter to them. Rain? What rain? Snow? Cool! Let's build a snow bird!:wee

Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean your birds shouldn't be out. Remember, they are wearing a down coat! We used to live in north Idaho--now THAT was snow! Good luck with your search!

My blue laced wyandotte and most of the pics I’ve seen of them do have a lot of fluff in the back. Ours is nicknamed Miss Fluffy Butt, though our Gold Laced have medium fluff and also quite beautiful.

Looking for more ideas besides the ones I already NEED. (Java and Brabanter.) Much prefer recommendations from people that have or have had the breed. WAY too much conflicting info when you just "google". Look at 4 different sites and they generally say 4 different things. Which is accurate? It is quite obvious most sites are just copying what they read on a another site, rather than speaking from personal experience.

"Requirements" are:

#1 Larger size. (So no bantys, silkies etc...)

#2 Tends to go broody.

#3 Cold hardy, BUT won't suffer too much in the heat. (VERY low humidity though as I live in the high desert.)

#4 PRETTY! (I don't like plain old white, buff, etc... But I DO like solid black. LOVE mottled and spangled.)

#5 Not overly fluffy, Especially in the butt feathers. (So nothing like English Opringtons.) Just NOT practical in my area.

#6 NO FEATHERS ON LEGS.

#7. Docile temperaments. ( I don't DO aggressive animals of ANY kind. I don't take that crap from cattle or horses. Not having it from a bird either!) They don't have to be the "pet" type wanting to sit on my lap, but no going after me for sport either.) Also don't want any that are known for being on the aggressive side with flock mates. I'm not talking about "pecking order". Of course THAT is natural. I mean jerks that like to beat up on others for sport.

#8. No care at all for egg color nor number of eggs as that is not the reason for having them.

#9. Need to be tolerant of confinement. Will have large outdoor run, but no free ranging in the winter, so they need to be OK with that.

So what say you? Am I looking for a unicorn? Or do any of you have ideas for me to look into. Also wanted to say I will NOT be going the hatchery route. So no need to go into breeds that are overly rare and have 1 breeder in the USA that is on the east coast and doesn't ship! LOL
My favorite chicken is the Cinnamon Queen. They are very docile, beautiful red/brown color and lay big brown eggs. They are very good layers.

Black Australorp are a wonderful breed! Calm, friendly, broody, and excellent mothers. Winter layers, too.

One question? Why would you want to keep them cooped in the winter? We live in southern Missouri and get cold, snowy winters. I open the coop door and there is a mad dash to get outside. Weather doesn't seem to matter to them. Rain? What rain? Snow? Cool! Let's build a snow bird!:wee

Just because there is snow on the ground doesn't mean your birds shouldn't be out. Remember, they are wearing a down coat! We used to live in north Idaho--now THAT was snow! Good luck with your search!
Because we have a LOT of eagles that come here for the winter. I didn't say "cooped up". Just not free range in the winter. Not only do we have eagles (and other birds of prey.) And your usual 58967 coyotes. But we get a LOT of very thick fog. (As in can barely see your hand in front of your face. Predators can be almost on top of you before you have a CLUE they are there.) So there is that, plus sometimes single digits or below, and 40+ MPH winds and snow at the same time. (And ZERO trees to block any of it.) So my intention is to have the coop/hen house, and a mostly enclosed (As in block the wind, rain, snow etc...) run for the really crappy days. With access to a bigger, not "enclosed", but fenced large predator proof area. So if they want to go out and get blasted by snow, rain, wind, they sure can. But they don't HAVE to. I don't mean lock them in a tiny 4x5 (or whatever) sized "coop" and that is it for5 months. But also not running all over several hundred acres all winter either.

Last edited:
Looking for more ideas besides the ones I already NEED. (Java and Brabanter.) Much prefer recommendations from people that have or have had the breed. WAY too much conflicting info when you just "google". Look at 4 different sites and they generally say 4 different things. Which is accurate? It is quite obvious most sites are just copying what they read on a another site, rather than speaking from personal experience.

"Requirements" are:

#2 Tends to go broody.

#3 Cold hardy, BUT won't suffer too much in the heat. (VERY low humidity though as I live in the high desert.)

#4 PRETTY! (I don't like plain old white, buff, etc... But I DO like solid black. LOVE mottled and spangled.)

#5 Not overly fluffy, Especially in the butt feathers. (So nothing like English Opringtons.) Just NOT practical in my area.

#6 NO FEATHERS ON LEGS.

#7. Docile temperaments. ( I don't DO aggressive animals of ANY kind. I don't take that crap from cattle or horses. Not having it from a bird either!) They don't have to be the "pet" type wanting to sit on my lap, but no going after me for sport either.) Also don't want any that are known for being on the aggressive side with flock mates. I'm not talking about "pecking order". Of course THAT is natural. I mean jerks that like to beat up on others for sport.

#8. No care at all for egg color nor number of eggs as that is not the reason for having them.

#9. Need to be tolerant of confinement. Will have large outdoor run, but no free ranging in the winter, so they need to be OK with that.

So what say you? Am I looking for a unicorn? Or do any of you have ideas for me to look into. Also wanted to say I will NOT be going the hatchery route. So no need to go into breeds that are overly rare and have 1 breeder in the USA that is on the east coast and doesn't ship! LOL

"Requirements" are:

#2 Tends to go broody.

#6 NO FEATHERS ON LEGS.

Hi
You might check into the Russian Orloff breed. They come in many colors including black and also mottled. They fit all the requirements except for the heat during the summer. I'm hoping to get some next year as I live in a desert/arid environment and during the winter here I get to deal with making sure my Buttercups crowns dont get frostbite.

Hi
You might check into the Russian Orloff breed. They come in many colors including black and also mottled. They fit all the requirements except for the heat during the summer. I'm hoping to get some next year as I live in a desert/arid environment and during the winter here I get to deal with making sure my Buttercups crowns dont get frostbite.
Thank you. I actually have considered them. There is a breeder not too far from me that I found recently. So spring/summer I should know if it is going to work out for me to get a couple from her. (Depending on what/how many she hatches and doesn't keep for her program.)

Back
Top Bottom