Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

@Allsfairinloveandbugs did you get a prothstetic in the end? Have you tried etsy?
I looked into prosthetics on Etsy immediately after a couple people provided a link on this thread back in January. The video links that the top "3d feet printer" etsy business provided on their website don't work. And as far the various photos on that website, there are photos showing people holding their bird amputees up in the air with prosthetic attached to the stump(s), and there are also photos of birds standing on the ground wearing a prosthetic but not moving. From what i could see from the website, I didn't see how those prosthetics would improve Matilda's mobility. I tried to call that business on two different days to get more info, but their phone went to vm. The second time i left a message, but didn't get a return call.

Matilda's stumps are a bit complicated (probably all auto-amputee stumps are), in that she has made herself new "feet pads" to walk on. Both her shanks are now flattened so she can bear her weight evenly. She does not walk on the end of either stump, even though she retained her right foot pad after the top of her foot and all toes fell off. For 3d printed feet to work well for her, I think they would need to be extremely customized.

This is her left stump. She walks on the flattened part, which was originally her lower bottom shank about where her spur was located.
20220328_094129~2.jpg

Right stump (in background) with spur remnant. The fleshy end above the spur is her foot pad, but she doesn't bear weight on it. Instead she walks on the flattened bottom below the spur.
20220328_095956~2.jpg

The 3d printed feet for the rooster in this video is amazing. And extremely customized. That is the best "return to mobility" by a chicken that lost its feet i have seen. I thought it was hilarious the scientist said he first considered T Rex feet as a template. 😂

Using the lower part of her shanks is not a good thing structurally, as it may cause compensatory injuries to her hocks, hips, etc. sooner or later. But that is the adjustment she has made, and I don't really see that anything much can be done to change the issue.

I did find a solution to help Matilda walk better from one of the ideas someone here suggested. Im not gonna tell which idea I used, because ALL were great ideas and may work for someone else's amputee patient. Plus, i may use one of the other ideas in the future. I will say that as Matilda regained mobility, her stumps required Much more padding than I was using. That was the main thing I learned after soliciting ideas for better padding and comfort. I thought her stumps were padded enough, but they needed even more.

This really would make a great book IMO. I named a chick in matilda's honor. Such a great soul I doubt a lesser bird would have fought with her mom to survive.
I think many others also have chickens that would thrive even after a tragedy, if their human chooses to give them a chance. Of course every individual has a unique personality, and a trait that stands out in Matilda is she is absolutely unfazed by new experiences. She takes it all in stride, and there is not a flighty bone in her body. She is a wise old soul for sure. But also, by her behaviors she lets me know she trusts me. When I pick her up to take her to where she needs to go, she goes limp and melts right into me. I feel like I'm holding a soft, warm, cuddly puppy rather than a chicken.

While I would never wish her loss on any creature, I am grateful for how well I have come to know and love her. I hope Your Matilda brings you as much joy as my Matilda has to me.

Have you contacted them at the school in Calgary
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
I have not. From what I've seen as far as the best-fitting prosthetics, there needs to be several "in-person" (in-chicken?😁) visits to adjust and adapt the prosthetic. A proper chicken prosthetic is no different than a human prosthetic, in that it takes time to get the fit and function just right.

Since Calgary is a long way from Texas, I looked for some local options last summer but didn't find any. I decided the best bet would be to try to find a university in the dallas-fort worth metroplex that would accept her as a project. The problem is my anxiety shoots sky-high when I even think of driving in the crazy city traffic. If I was 20-30 years younger it would be no big deal. So Matilda is hindered by My limitations in that regard.

I decided the best bet would be to try to find a university in the dallas-fort worth metroplex that would accept her as a project. The problem is my anxiety shoots sky-high when I even think of driving in the crazy city traffic.
I don't blame you--I grew up in the DFW area and traffic was crazy even then--I can't imagine now with all of the population boom there in the last 5 or so years. Especailly Dallas, ugh. I always thought Dallas drivers were the worst. At least on the Ft. Worth side they let you in to merge.

If you were willing, I'm sure many of us would love to see any photos or videos you were willing to take of Matilda's current method of walking, with and/or without whatever mobility assistance you have provided her. I doubt anyone will be offended if you didn't use their suggestion--we are all just invested in her well being. <3

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom