Mating before crowing?

robyn8

Songster
Mar 21, 2016
Dexter, Michigan
Today I witnessed one of my 15 week old cockerels mating a 6 month old pullet. He has never crowed as far a I know. Is this odd or do they sometimes mate prior to crowing? He actually seems really babyish still behavior wise other than this random mating.

Yeah I guess so. It's just all our others tried matting a lot later than crowing. He does seem to already be succeeding though so good for him I guess, lol.

My buff orp cockerel was chasing down the ladies before he started crowing. He was supposed to be a girl, but I questioned his gender at about 16 weeks and ppl here said he was a boy b/c of his saddle feathers. He didn't crow at all until he was about 19 weeks, but a week or 2 before that he was aggressively chasing down my pullets. Sometimes they're late bloomers.

Is he the only male?
Did the female submit to him?
Mounting is a dominance behavior as well as a sexual behavior.

His brother is the only other male and yes the female did submit. I've seen him succeed with her at least 3-4 times since but none of the others. I actually like the sound of a rooster crowing so I'm hoping he starts soon!

He'll probably start soon. It'll be sad and pitiful at first and sound like someone is choking him, but he'll get better at it then he'll do it all the time.

I heard him this morning for the first time. He only did it a few times so totally possible he's been doing it for a while and I just haven't heard him.

It's possible that he just started. My buff orp, Steve, didn't start until he was almost 4 months old. My other 2 boys would crow all the time, but he never made a peep. I don't know if it had to do with him not being the dominant rooster or if it's just how the breed is.
My bantam cockerel started trying to crow when he was about 2 months old. He sounded like someone stepped on a dog toy.

Back
Top Bottom