mating dance?

amers1414

Hatching
May 20, 2016
Hi everyone! I was wondering about my rooster, he is a red sex link and about 15 weeks old, he is a nice roo. I was holding a 10 wk EE hen and and my rooster came over did like a head Bob and stomped his feet fast. Do they stomp quickly as a mating dance or is it more on the aggressive side? I have seen him try to get on and pull the neck feathers on the other hens that are his age but this is the first time he did this stomping thing. It looked like a dance he didn't peck at me or the hen. Any ideas of this is good or bad? Thanks

welcome-byc.gif
He is starting to mature and feel possessive of 'his' hens. He was letting you know that he does not like you handling one of his girls. Keep an eye on him - this behavior is liable to escalate.

Oh really? That's not good I thought it was a dance kind of like the silkie roos do. He has never been aggressive let's me handle him and doesn't peck. Hope it doesn't get worst.

Thank you I'm excited to learn new things about chickens and talk with people who love chickens too!

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

As Sourland says, you may need to be proactive and nip his behaviour in the bud. If you type "training roosters" in the search box there's lots of info on the subject. Opinions and approaches differ, so read as much as you can and decide what approach suits you best.

Good luck
CT

I would keep a close eye on him - even young cockerels can be dangerous. I'd keep children away from him, and not hold him close to somebody's face.

Back
Top Bottom