1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mating dance?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by amers1414, May 20, 2016.

1. amers1414

amers1414 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Hi everyone! I was wondering about my rooster, he is a red sex link and about 15 weeks old, he is a nice roo. I was holding a 10 wk EE hen and and my rooster came over did like a head Bob and stomped his feet fast. Do they stomp quickly as a mating dance or is it more on the aggressive side? I have seen him try to get on and pull the neck feathers on the other hens that are his age but this is the first time he did this stomping thing. It looked like a dance he didn't peck at me or the hen. Any ideas of this is good or bad? Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] He is starting to mature and feel possessive of 'his' hens. He was letting you know that he does not like you handling one of his girls. Keep an eye on him - this behavior is liable to escalate.

3. amers1414

amers1414 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Oh really? That's not good I thought it was a dance kind of like the silkie roos do. He has never been aggressive let's me handle him and doesn't peck. Hope it doesn't get worst.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. amers1414

amers1414 New Egg

May 20, 2016
    Thank you I'm excited to learn new things about chickens and talk with people who love chickens too!

6. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

As Sourland says, you may need to be proactive and nip his behaviour in the bud. If you type "training roosters" in the search box there's lots of info on the subject. Opinions and approaches differ, so read as much as you can and decide what approach suits you best.

Good luck
    CT

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would keep a close eye on him - even young cockerels can be dangerous. I'd keep children away from him, and not hold him close to somebody's face.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by