Matted Angora Rabbit...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ma2babygurl13, Nov 8, 2011.

1. ma2babygurl13

ma2babygurl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    My sister found a rabbit hopping down her road this morning. It appears to be an angora buck. He is severely matted and I was wondering what is the best way to remove his matting without causing too much discomfort to him.... I will get pics tomorrow and post them. He is pretty fluffy all over and has little tufts of fuzz on the ends of his ears. Weighs at a rough estimate to be 6-8lbs.

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Where is Debi when you need her?

I have never touched an Angora, but debiraymond raises French Angora. She could help you. IMO, shave him? [​IMG]

3. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    I thought about shaving him, but with the impending winter and him being outside... I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. That and I think he has fleas, what can I use on him to get rid of them? I have DE would that work?

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I'm here!!! Hang on

5. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    Hi!!!

6. debilorrah

DO NOT SHEAR HIM!!! Their skin is very sensitive.

7. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Yay! Help has arrived, so now I get to learn to help future mishaps like this! [​IMG]

8. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    I can describe the condition of his coat better... it is matted to where I cannot part the matting to see his skin... I could get under them with clippers. It appears as the mats have been there a while as it appears they have been trimmed with scissors.

9. debilorrah

Get a mat comb, and a slicker brush and a comb that has wide teeth and teeth that are more close together.

10. ma2babygurl13

Jun 18, 2009
    Fairborn OH
    So will combing him out be the best option? If I gently pull on the smaller ones I can get it out little by little, I just want to cause him as little as discomfort as possible. he is the sweetest thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by