Matted Angora Rabbit...

Once you have your tools, check the mats to see if they are ON the skin or just close. The ones that are ON the skin, pull up gently, and cut the top off. As close as you can. You can work them out from there.

This sounds like an awful task to have to perform.
hmm.png

Angoras have a base coat. That leaves the outer coat loose. Tug on the mats. See if they are loose. They usually are. If they are NOT, you need to trim down little by little until you can use the mat comb to loosen the wool.

ok
smile.png
I think I can handle it! I used to groom dogs... though usually if they were matted we just shaved them
roll.png
but he has done well with me just gently pulling the ones I can out so I am sure he will be ok with the rest of it... I will round up my tools and will start tomorrow... just do a little at a time and give him time to rest in between sessions... goal is to have him feeling fresh by the end of the week
smile.png

If the mats are against the skin you need to be WAY more careful!!!! Rabbits have very sensitive skin!!! I would suggest cutting the mat down from the top to about 1/4 inch and combing from there. DO NOT SHEAR THE RABBIT. I cannot say this enough. Only German Angoras can be be sheared to the skin.

yes he is bad shape
sad.png
people make me angry! I am just glad my sister found him and called me (I am such a sucker) or he would have likely been killed. His foot pads aren't stained so he either has been loose a while, or kept on wire I am guessing... He is a little skinny but not horribly so... I am guessing he was a dumped pet... we put up an ad and called him into the humane society, but so far no one has claimed him. Not that I would want him going back if he just recently got loose. I will get pics tomorrow promise
smile.png

If I remember correctly rabbits are easily nicked and torn if they are shorn. Right? I wont take clippers to him I promise. I will do the daunting task of coaxing them nasty things out
smile.png

I know I have to keep reading back to remember what was said lol.

I will post pictures of him and close ups of the matting before I set in to work on him, that way maybe you can see it and tell me what to do from there. But for now I am going to bed... gotta be up in 6 hours to get the kiddo off to school, run down the road to take care of my gma for a few hours come back get the kiddo of the bus, feed them lunch and make them nap then off to work on Mr. Bun I go
smile.png
... He needs a better name too lol

Quote:
"bad shape" may be just a persons non-knowledge of angoras. I groom once a week and yes they are tangled. But not BAD. I do have to deal with several mats, and often they are surface mats. And sometimes they are SKIN mats, which is unexpected. Angoras tangle. It is part of owning them.

Back
Top Bottom