Mature duck niacin deficiency

So i have a few more questions..

Should I keep her isolated from the rest of the flock? I did for a week or so but I read (and I don't know if it's true but wanted to ask ifor out had heard of this) that when they are with their flock, they are more determined to live. For his buddies. Like I said, idk if that's true but that's what I've heard. Sounds a little silly to me but I wasn't sure. And since they weren't hurting him so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try....

She will be happier in the presence of her flock, so I don't think I would necessarily separate, but making a little pen for her, where she can easily reach feed, and water, but see the other birds may be good.

Also, are you sure i should buy a different kind of niacin? Or should I just get that vitamin B3 supplement? Which is better? Can you send the link to the B3 you usually get?

The niacin you have is flush-free, so it does not absorb well into her sytem. You can need plain niacin (B3). Here is a brand you can buy :

https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Ni...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And could you send me the link to the Terramycin you recommend and also what is saline?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz

Saline is basically water, and sodium chloride ( salt) often made into a concentration of 0.9%. You can buy saline online, at most health stores or make your own.

https://www.healthline.com/health/make-your-own-saline-solution

And is bumble foot common when ducks have vitamin deficiency? Lucky doesn't have it but I've heard it's serious.

Bumblefoot is common in ducks that do not move around much, apply pressure to their feet for prolonged hours, and ones that are housed on unforgiving grounds.

What can I do to prevent that and how would I treat it? Also does a Epsom salt bath help with niacin defficent ducks? And if so, how do I keep him from drinking it cause I know it's not safe.

I already mentioned in my previous post precautions you can take to prevent sores from developing.

He likes the heat lamp and I turn it on when he gets out of the bath because it's cold but is that what I should be doing?

If he's not soaking wet when he gets out of water/ doesn't have wet feather, there is no need to have a heat lamp in his pen.

She normally squeaks like a male normally would but is Lucky just a male or is it due to being weak? He opens his mouth and it is open for about a second and a half before any sound comes out. Is that normal for niacin deficient ducks or is something else up?

He acts kinda sick, do niacin deficient ducks typically act sick or are they just pigeon-toed?

They are often inactive due to their leg problem, and if not cared for, can get very sick.

I give them Dumor all flock pellets. Is that okay? Or should I be giving them full blown duck food?

Mazuri would probably be better, but it is more expensive. The Dumor will work fine.

My biggest question is do ducks typically make it over niacin defficentcy? Do you think Lucky will? And will his feet ever be normal again? Will any medicine help to do that? I'm really worried....

Already answered in my previous post in the thread.

PS:I'm sorry I kept switching back and forth calling it him in places and her in others. I honestly don't know which it is! So...that leads to my final question....

How do you tell? I have heard that females usually honk while males squeak more often than not.

At his age, you'll be able to tell the sex easily by listening to him. Males make raspy sounds, females quack.

It took me an hour to write this! Lol.

I think my duck got bumble foot. I have been checking every day and there has been no sign of it anywhere on his foot. But yesterday, when I did my daily checkup on him, he had a black scab on his ankle, about the size of a pea. So I got a bucket of Luke warm water and put about a cup and a half of Epsom salt in it and soaked his foot in it. The scab actually came off in the tub and it seems to have gone away now but I didn't see your post till this morning. Will it just come back?
So i have a few more questions..

Should I keep her isolated from the rest of the flock? I did for a week or so but I read (and I don't know if it's true but wanted to ask ifor out had heard of this) that when they are with their flock, they are more determined to live. For his buddies. Like I said, idk if that's true but that's what I've heard. Sounds a little silly to me but I wasn't sure. And since they weren't hurting him so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try....

She will be happier in the presence of her flock, so I don't think I would necessarily separate, but making a little pen for her, where she can easily reach feed, and water, but see the other birds may be good.

Also, are you sure i should buy a different kind of niacin? Or should I just get that vitamin B3 supplement? Which is better? Can you send the link to the B3 you usually get?

The niacin you have is flush-free, so it does not absorb well into her sytem. You can need plain niacin (B3). Here is a brand you can buy :

https://www.amazon.com/Nutricost-Ni...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

And could you send me the link to the Terramycin you recommend and also what is saline?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/pfizer-terramycin-opthalmic-ointment-1-8-oz

Saline is basically water, and sodium chloride ( salt) often made into a concentration of 0.9%. You can buy saline online, at most health stores or make your own.

https://www.healthline.com/health/make-your-own-saline-solution

And is bumble foot common when ducks have vitamin deficiency? Lucky doesn't have it but I've heard it's serious.

Bumblefoot is common in ducks that do not move around much, apply pressure to their feet for prolonged hours, and ones that are housed on unforgiving grounds.

What can I do to prevent that and how would I treat it? Also does a Epsom salt bath help with niacin defficent ducks? And if so, how do I keep him from drinking it cause I know it's not safe.

I already mentioned in my previous post precautions you can take to prevent sores from developing.

He likes the heat lamp and I turn it on when he gets out of the bath because it's cold but is that what I should be doing?

If he's not soaking wet when he gets out of water/ doesn't have wet feather, there is no need to have a heat lamp in his pen.

She normally squeaks like a male normally would but is Lucky just a male or is it due to being weak? He opens his mouth and it is open for about a second and a half before any sound comes out. Is that normal for niacin deficient ducks or is something else up?

He acts kinda sick, do niacin deficient ducks typically act sick or are they just pigeon-toed?

They are often inactive due to their leg problem, and if not cared for, can get very sick.

I give them Dumor all flock pellets. Is that okay? Or should I be giving them full blown duck food?

Mazuri would probably be better, but it is more expensive. The Dumor will work fine.

My biggest question is do ducks typically make it over niacin defficentcy? Do you think Lucky will? And will his feet ever be normal again? Will any medicine help to do that? I'm really worried....

Already answered in my previous post in the thread.

PS:I'm sorry I kept switching back and forth calling it him in places and her in others. I honestly don't know which it is! So...that leads to my final question....

How do you tell? I have heard that females usually honk while males squeak more often than not.

At his age, you'll be able to tell the sex easily by listening to him. Males make raspy sounds, females quack.

It took me an hour to write this! Lol.
Thank you so much!!!

I think my duck got bumble foot. I have been checking every day and there has been no sign of it anywhere on his foot. But yesterday, when I did my daily checkup on him, he had a black scab on his ankle, about the size of a pea. So I got a bucket of Luke warm water and put about a cup and a half of Epsom salt in it and soaked his foot in it. The scab actually came off in the tub and it seems to have gone away now but I didn't see your post till this morning. Will it just come back?

Thank you so much!!!

Could you post a picture of where the scab was?

Could you post a picture of where the scab was?
Sure! I also sent one of his eye and wings. He has been fully dependent on his wings and they look sore. Is this normal? Is it something that I should worry about??? 1606534013055-1361296650.jpg 1606533979287-318104985.jpg
1606534013055-1361296650.jpg
1606534058771-1555856811.jpg
)

Also i wrapped his foot when I did the Epsom salt bath. I just put iodine on a gauge pad and put it on his leg and wrapped it in VETWRAP.

Back
Top Bottom