Mature Turkey stopped walking.....

Birchymm

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
Southwest Michigan
SO, we are trying Turkeys this year for 4H. We got 4 chicks and all are about 3.5 months old, and huge! They are market birds, intent on being sold at fair in early August, when they are supposed to be mature. I am assuming the largest one is a Tom, only because he seems to be apart from the others, is larger and has a larger snood than the others. I'm not even sure if this is how you tell, I'm making that assumption.

I've noticed lately that he has a bit of a limp, so we checked him out and didn't notice any swollen joints or trauma, and moving that leg in range of motion didn't seem to bother him anymore than a human holding him would. Today, he won't get up. We stand him up on his feet and immediately lays back down. I can still see no trauma and he seems agitated with us messing with him, but they usually are. They are free to roam our property and usually don't get messed with other than the little kids trying to pet them, which they sometimes let them do. He seems alert and awake, but just won't stand up. Any thoughts?

Since he's future freezer meat, I really don't want to take him to a vet, and my neighbor is a butcher, so you know what he suggested! I have noticed lately that he doesn't get up and wander as much as the others, but this is the first time he just refuses to move. Help!

If these are broad breasted type turkeys, they are at or past usual harvest age of about 12-18 weeks. They aren't bred or built to last much past that age. They literally get too heavy for their legs to hold them up any longer. Certain management techniques can extend that time, but at the cost of meat texture and flavor, not to mention feed conversion values.

Time to harvest is now.

Personally, I'd take your neighbor's suggestion.

Like the cornish cross chickens, broad-breasted turkeys can have a whole lot of weight-related issues. It sounds likely that your big turkey outgrew what his legs can support (relatively common). It's better if you go ahead and process that one now than if you wait until he has sores from laying down all the time, or experiences heart failure or some other additional problem.

I've heard anywhere from 3-5 months as far as when to process broad-breasted turkeys, so he's probably about reached his limit. The hens will probably make it the extra couple weeks until your fair (and fill out more in the meantime), just keep an eye out for any others having issues.

Thanks for the quick responses!! I called home and it sounds like my wife has already taken matters into her own hands. Sounds like Tom is already on his way to the freezer as we speak. I just hope the other three make it to fair!

Back
Top Bottom