Mauled chicken - broken wing bone, skin gone muscle exposed

OP, glad to hear your bird is improving! Sounds like what you are doing is helping. Giving her a companion sounds like a very good idea, as chickens are, of course, flock animals. Being alone would certainly add to her stress. It also sounds like you don't need to worry about her hating you if she already looks forward to your ministrations. Keep up the good work! :hugs

I do hope she'll be a miracle chicken, or, as I like to call them, and I had one which sustained fatal wounds in a dog attack, ZOMBIE chickens. Yep, I don't have her now, I gave her away some time after she healed up. She had a strip of flesh hanging off her at the time as well as everything else, and later once healed, she still had it, I guess it was alive, or undead ?

Apparently moist is in vogue, but sprays, ointments, all of that stuff is OUT. according to some stuff I read somewhere :

There are two main components to moist wound healing: 1) Do not use disinfectants over the wound and 2) Keep the wound moist. The first component, not using disinfectants, makes sense because disinfectants such as iodine, sodium hypochlorite and hydrogen peroxide are toxic to cells and should never be applied over a wound surface. We don't want to kill cells; we want to encourage them to live and proliferate.

The second component refers to the fact that lacerations, abrasions, crush injuries and burns heal faster and with less scarring when treatment involves promoting a moist wound bed.
and then there was some other stuff on a page that was titled "Moist Wound Healing: The New Standard of Care" which was whatever, more of the same. I never use chemicals or disinfectants myself, I wash wounds with drinking water to remove dirt if it is there, then bind it together and immobilize it. Everything I've come across that constitutes "a product" is pretty outright detrimental or pointless or column A+B.

The only exception is for things like ulcers on the surface, or wounds like that, shallow but large, I dab honey on, leave it on a few minutes and pour drinking water over it. This cleans a wound better than an hour in the shower does.
I’ve had 2 chickens that were tormented by each other. Then the rest followed in. The two ended up with peck wounds to the bone. Oddly they were hidden by the wing and it wasn’t until the white birds were turning pink did I realize there was a problem. Anyhow being just months in to owning chickens I needed crash course. But not needing to read at that time when I wanted to apply care immediately. I kept them clean, sprayed, and covered. Then read. Well all that I did worked. They both healed beautifully. Thank you for your knowledgeable support.

OP, glad to hear your bird is improving! Sounds like what you are doing is helping. Giving her a companion sounds like a very good idea, as chickens are, of course, flock animals. Being alone would certainly add to her stress. It also sounds like you don't need to worry about her hating you if she already looks forward to your ministrations. Keep up the good work! :hugs
Ahhhhh, thank you. I do allow them to spend an hour outside the cages each time I tend to Retta. They also seem to know when time is up because they are no longer fretting when times up. Thank you for your kind words.

Attachments

• DBBF5639-F0BA-4A5D-9BB1-6B5284C9BD2B.jpeg
    DBBF5639-F0BA-4A5D-9BB1-6B5284C9BD2B.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom