Max number of chickens

ianb89

Hatching
May 21, 2015

Hi

I have recently constructed two chicken coops together with an inter joining run. (the second coop was given to me as a gift after I had bought the larger one).

The current chickens are 5 weeks old and are loving the space.

I'm just wondering with an area this size how many more chickens I could keep without it being cramped.

I was thinking of another 2 to base in the smaller coop.

What are people's thoughts?

Thanks

Hi,

The breed are just regular backyard here in the UK (hybrids).

I currently have 3 in total.

Total run space is 2.2m x 3.6m. Total living space in the coops 1.2 x 1.7.

I wouldn't add any more to that setup.
I'd start building a bigger coop and use those too smaller ones to integrate new chickens down the road.

I wouldn't add any more to that setup.
I'd start building a bigger coop and use those too smaller ones to integrate new chickens down the road.

X 2 - if you want more birds, you need to add living space - rather than cobbling together another add-on I'd just go ahead and do a nice, single structure setup and keep the current stuff to use for isolation, brooding, etc. Overcrowding can lead to all sorts of undesirable results. Will the birds be confined at all times or will you be allowing them to free range in the yard the majority of the time,with limited actual confinement?

They will be out sometimes but the yard isn't secure as I live in a row of houses with shared access ect

The two coops have helped build the structure in the available space. I guess there option for isolation.

I would need to make some major changes to the yard to release more area for future birds so I will probably take advise and keep it at 3.

Maybe one for the future!

Back
Top Bottom