Maximum poultry on 1/4 acre?

GoofyNewt

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
I might be able to expand to an extra 1/4 acre lot and I'm curious how many poultry I can fit without them becoming crowded and territorial.
I kind of have an idea of what kinds of bird I want to have; chickens, muscovies, geese, possibly turkeys.
I was thinking 8 pilgrim geese, 8 large breed chickens, and 8 muscovies. Would that already be too many or would that be plenty of room? Is there room to add more birds even? Advice is appreciated! :)

Well 1/4th an acre is a pretty big space. Nearly 11,000 square feet. It will be enough room for 8 geese, 8 muscovies, and 8 chickens to roam on, now you just need to make sure you have a big enough coop.

With electrified poultry netting, you can arrange rotational grazing; splitting the area into sections so they have a chance to recover before being used again.
Start small, and learn as you go. Often turkeys and chickens don't mix well, for example.
Mary
I currently have 5 ducks and a chicken but the ducks will stay where they are right now to be separated from the muscovies so I have a little experience under my belt. I might just have to forget about turkeys and learn as I go as you said. Thanks for the help!

On 1/4 acre, you could have a quota! :lau It would be very cramped, though, and your neighbors wouldn't be happy.

Back
Top Bottom