MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Quote: Hmm, that is very possible. I do an almost dry hatch in my styrobator. I probably should start weighing them I keep putting it off thinking I'm doing ok, but maybe this is reason enough to start weighing.

:)

Set day = day 0
24hrs later = day 1

start lockdown on day 18...
if 5/10/16 = day 21
then 5/7/15 (Saturday) = day 18

for lockdown, you want to increase the humidity to about 60%.

remove the turner and lay the eggs on their side.
I like to candle the eggs and mark the air cells with a pencil. then, I lay the lowest part of the aircell (the dip) facing up. this is most likely where the chick will first pip through!

Sweet!! After my daughter's softball game (and post game shower, she's 9 and gets horribly dirty) we will do lockdown. She has been very hands on from the day we bought our first day old chicks. She oddly enough is even ok with the losses we've had on eggs. She said "it's part of life, if they all make it we won't have enough bugs to feed them." She is very excited about the hatch, even asked if she could miss school that day.

No! You may not!
tongue.png
(kidding!)
Yes. You, MrLeeroy, I think Chaos18 and I all have hatches due Tuesday. Lock down is Saturday.
Oops! See above.

I also have more eggs hatching on Tuesday. :) (10 eggs) I set mine on Apr. 19 at 9:30 pm, so I will lockdown on Saturday evening.

Last edited:
Think I only have 2 good eggs out of 7 under my broody hens. One hen has stopped sitting. Will candle tonight.
Picking up hatching eggs Saturday of Jersey Giants in Indiana. Incubator is warming up as I type.
Lastly, my 3 that hatched in April are doing very well. Bantam Mottled Cochins.

Last edited:
ITS HAPPENING!!!!

First splash bantam out. I see over a dozen pips.
YAY!!
jumpy.gif
hatch babies hatch!

Sweet!! After my daughter's softball game (and post game shower, she's 9 and gets horribly dirty) we will do lockdown. She has been very hands on from the day we bought our first day old chicks. She oddly enough is even ok with the losses we've had on eggs. She said "it's part of life, if they all make it we won't have enough bugs to feed them." She is very excited about the hatch, even asked if she could miss school that day.
she is so sweet! that is wonderful that you are teaching her about incubating. I hope you hatch lots of chicks!

Once you start lockdown, be sure not to open the incubator. it's important once they start hatching that the humidity stays high, opening the incubator causes a sudden drop. I have even taped my incubator shut temporarily to make sure there was no funny business
wink.png

Think I only have 2 good eggs out of 7 under my broody hens. One hen has stopped sitting. Will candle tonight.
Picking up hatching eggs Saturday of Jersey Giants in Indiana. Incubator is warming up as I type.
cuties - I love cochins! sorry about the broody.

Put 6 under a broody today. Hopefully she takes them. It's her first time so we will see how it goes. Collecting for what will prbly be a mid month incubator set. Considering trying to find something other than my backyard mixes to hatch this go round. Time will tell.

Put 6 under a broody today. Hopefully she takes them. It's her first time so we will see how it goes. Collecting for what will prbly be a mid month incubator set. Considering trying to find something other than my backyard mixes to hatch this go round. Time will tell.
Good luck with your broody.

Signing Up!

Have 3 different sets of the same eggs... Kinda rolling the springing hatch into this one (sets 1 and 2 are already finished)...
Set 3 locks down tomorrow (6 eggs),
Set 4 is not my thing (5eggs) (under a broody)
and Set 5 was set on 5/4/2016 (6 eggs). (and like NaJoBeLe said May the Fourth be with them
lau.gif
)

Happy Hatching!
jumpy.gif
Welcome and good luck mrleeroy!

I just put eggs back in!! Not sure who is keeping up with hatch on this thread (or if anyone is) @Sally Sunshine

15 Salmon Faverolles
4 Blue Copper Marans
9 Barnyard Mix (EExRIR)
Wonderful!

sweetgrass turkey babies growing
Very nice!

I gave my broody 2 eggs to sit on... We'll see if she hatches them! They're just their own mixed eggs. We'll see!
fl.gif

well, my hatch is complete! (I have another 14 going into lockdown today due on Sunday - blue laced red wyandottes from my flock)

I won half a dozen eggs from the easter HAL contest from @MyPetChicken .....
intense color hatching eggs!

they sent me 7 instead of 6. so nice...

5 eggs made it to lockdown, and 2 were clears/never started developing.

all 5 hatched! Here they are!

This is the Olive Egger. He/she is all black with feathered legs and black shanks. I noticed that it has a single comb, which I know the pea comb gene is linked to the green shell gene. so maybe it is going to lay Marans type eggs? it does have some reddish copperish around it's face. what do you all think?

this is the easter egger! black with yellow on it's belly and chin, cute beard, pea comb and black shanks
love.gif

splash ameraucana - all white with greyish greenish legs, pea comb, cute beard
love.gif

ameriflower - strawberry blonde baby with pea comb and pink legs

green magnolia - auto-sexing, appears to be male! darn it... still a cutie anyway

group photo!

a huge thank you to MyPetChicken for supplying hatching eggs as a prize, this was incredibly fun for me and I loved seeing what surprises hatched out! I am really extremely happy with my 5/5 hatch rate on SHIPPED eggs too!
Very nice!

Can I join in!?
I put 12 guinea eggs in the incubator may 1st.
Welcome! I have about that many guineas in myself.

Just found this thread and joining in!

April 21: set 38 Salmon Faverolles eggs in the PM
May 12: expected hatch date

Background: I have had chickens going on 5 years....hatched chicks under broody hens many times. Set up 2 coops of Favs for breeding and decided to go with an incubator. Bought a Hovabator 1588 with digital humidity and temp, and auto turner. My humidity was running around 4-48% so took water out overnight, and now running around 35% humidity. I think I am going to let the water run out/not refill until day 18-4 days from now.

Tonight I plan on candling again and marking air sac to re check again on day 18 (wish I did that from the start.) Instead, I weighed them all, and re weighed again at day 11-realized that I was weighing in oz and everything I read is in grams. LOL and really hate to convert 38 eggs weights on 2 occasions to grams, then calculate weight lose (but I might!)

Advise?: I have eggs from 2 coops and am thinking that on lock down, I would like to keep them separate. I am thinking of getting plastic trays from the dollar store but read that the lil guys will climb right out of those? Any suggestions? I prefer not to put stockings or mesh bags over as I want to watch them hatch.
Welcome!

9 eggs locked down, but don't think 2 are alive. They don't stink so stuck em in anyhow. Hurry up babies!!!

Good luck!

Tuesday is due day, so do I put them on lockdown Friday or Saturday? I'm a bit lost. Also with lockdown I remove the turner and leave the eggs alone? Just watch humidity?
Lockdown Sat., yes remove turner, raise humidity, normally leave alone.

ITS HAPPENING!!!!

First splash bantam out. I see over a dozen pips.
woot.gif

I hope the broody hatches the remaining 2.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom