MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

YAY!! :jumpy hatch babies hatch!

she is so sweet! that is wonderful that you are teaching her about incubating. I hope you hatch lots of chicks!

Once you start lockdown, be sure not to open the incubator. it's important once they start hatching that the humidity stays high, opening the incubator causes a sudden drop. I have even taped my incubator shut temporarily to make sure there was no funny business ;)

cuties - I love cochins! sorry about the broody.
she is learning a lot about the circle of life and the fact that some times one must go so another can go on. She even has her own section of my garden , it's 10×5, not huge but for a 9 year old it's a big responsibility. She plans on processing her 3 chickens this fall as well as canning her part of the garden. She is an awesome kid.

Last edited:
Well, I went out to have a little chat with the girls in the coop today. I looked them all in the face(s) and said, "Okay, ladies, here's the story. I have 15 Silkie eggs in the incubator. I ain't got the best track record despite lots of good advice and two different incubators. I've promised granddaughter Katie-bug a Silkie. Now, I don't want to let her down - I never want to look into those baby blues and let her down. You are chickens. You're supposed to hatch eggs. I'm a people. I ain't supposed to hatch eggs. You're supposed to be much better at this than I am. At this point Moby Dick is better at this than I am. So whichever one of you goes broody will get half of the eggs in the incubator given to her" (and here I looked directly at Kat, the Buff Orpington I bought BECAUSE they tend to go broody) "and will get luxury accommodations, extra chicken crack for the duration of the broody time, and a bonus when they hatch. Just think, lots of sweet little ones pecking at your eyeballs and tripping you when you try to walk. Now, who's in?" Um, Kat looked at me and pooped, then walked away. I think I'm stuck doing it all myself.
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
awww. I'm thinking when we get the walls in the coop
1f605.png
I'm going to put some golf balls in a low nest and cross my fingers.

Well, I went out to have a little chat with the girls in the coop today. I looked them all in the face(s) and said, "Okay, ladies, here's the story. I have 15 Silkie eggs in the incubator. I ain't got the best track record despite lots of good advice and two different incubators. I've promised granddaughter Katie-bug a Silkie. Now, I don't want to let her down - I never want to look into those baby blues and let her down. You are chickens. You're supposed to hatch eggs. I'm a people. I ain't supposed to hatch eggs. You're supposed to be much better at this than I am. At this point Moby Dick is better at this than I am. So whichever one of you goes broody will get half of the eggs in the incubator given to her" (and here I looked directly at Kat, the Buff Orpington I bought BECAUSE they tend to go broody) "and will get luxury accommodations, extra chicken crack for the duration of the broody time, and a bonus when they hatch. Just think, lots of sweet little ones pecking at your eyeballs and tripping you when you try to walk. Now, who's in?" Um, Kat looked at me and pooped, then walked away.

I think I'm stuck doing it all myself. <sigh>
lau.gif
I love your story of your chat with your girls... Maybe Kat will give it some thought and decide to take you up on it.

I ain't got nothin cooking....yet.

Amnesty

Well, I went out to have a little chat with the girls in the coop today. I looked them all in the face(s) and said, "Okay, ladies, here's the story. I have 15 Silkie eggs in the incubator. I ain't got the best track record despite lots of good advice and two different incubators. I've promised granddaughter Katie-bug a Silkie. Now, I don't want to let her down - I never want to look into those baby blues and let her down. You are chickens. You're supposed to hatch eggs. I'm a people. I ain't supposed to hatch eggs. You're supposed to be much better at this than I am. At this point Moby Dick is better at this than I am. So whichever one of you goes broody will get half of the eggs in the incubator given to her" (and here I looked directly at Kat, the Buff Orpington I bought BECAUSE they tend to go broody) "and will get luxury accommodations, extra chicken crack for the duration of the broody time, and a bonus when they hatch. Just think, lots of sweet little ones pecking at your eyeballs and tripping you when you try to walk. Now, who's in?" Um, Kat looked at me and pooped, then walked away.

I think I'm stuck doing it all myself. <sigh>
ep.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom