MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Woohoo! Rehomed 4 cockerels this afternoon. Had the smart idea to list them on a Facebook yardsale page for the nearby reservation. (They may be dinner there in 4 months, but that's what they'd be with me too)

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    My Isabel leghorn eggs are in! The all arrived intact! Still gotta check the air cells. I got eight extras too :D It's a really good thing I have a bigger incubator coming and that mt ten khaki eggs lock down on Tuesday :p

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. darkbluespace

darkbluespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon

You better get on that. ;)

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Well, I went out to have a little chat with the girls in the coop today. I looked them all in the face(s) and said, "Okay, ladies, here's the story. I have 15 Silkie eggs in the incubator. I ain't got the best track record despite lots of good advice and two different incubators. I've promised granddaughter Katie-bug a Silkie. Now, I don't want to let her down - I never want to look into those baby blues and let her down. You are chickens. You're supposed to hatch eggs. I'm a people. I ain't supposed to hatch eggs. You're supposed to be much better at this than I am. At this point Moby Dick is better at this than I am. So whichever one of you goes broody will get half of the eggs in the incubator given to her" (and here I looked directly at Kat, the Buff Orpington I bought BECAUSE they tend to go broody) "and will get luxury accommodations, extra chicken crack for the duration of the broody time, and a bonus when they hatch. Just think, lots of sweet little ones pecking at your eyeballs and tripping you when you try to walk. Now, who's in?" Um, Kat looked at me and pooped, then walked away.

I think I'm stuck doing it all myself. <sigh>

3 people like this.
  6. darkbluespace

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon

Awesome! I love extras!!

7. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    Yea I know, I'm working on it. :p

8. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    :lau Well it was worth a try.

9. NaJoBeLe

NaJoBeLe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Down past the Holler
    Maybe they just wanted to think it over for a bit.

10. darkbluespace

Jun 13, 2014
    Portland Oregon
    Ahh, maybe some golf balls would entice them! I thought for a minute my Salmon Favorelle was going broody, she was my very first and only big girl broody, and I got excited but then I realized she was just laying an egg. :th. duh! I wanted her to sit on Silkie eggs too. I bet you can hatch em even if those girls won't help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by