MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Chaos18

Chaos18 Minion King Premium Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Slowly Losing it......
    My son wasn't to find of our turkeys either.

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I think that is just great! [​IMG]

anecdotally... I know of someone who taught their 4 year old that chicken nuggets come from baby chicks. and that hamburgers are from baby cows. which sent her into hysterics, and she's now a vegetarian! [​IMG]

when he is old enough I plan to teach him about the circle of life, giving animals the respect they deserve since we raise all our own meat (chicken, beef, pork, turkey). but certainly NOT to present it in the way that individual did - scare tactics.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  3. h2oratt

h2oratt Chicken Obsessed

May 3, 2015
    Morada, california
    Cinco de mayo hatch
    Final count
    13 under lights
    2 under broody
    22 devil eggs made

4. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    some folks are odd for sure. We aren't as large as raising beef or pork yet but our kids have a respect for animal's most kids laugh at.

5. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    Today is day 16 and I have removed 18 eggs at this point from the incubator. 7 were duds and 11 were quitters. That leaves me 23 as of now. That's just over 1/2 so if 1/2 of the 23 hatch healthy I'm going to be super excited! !! I have learned a ton from all of you in this thread. Next batch will go into the bator on May 29th, the day after chickenstock, so I can "cook" all my new breeds.

6. weegarden

weegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    My rock that I helped out is not looking good at all. The yolk sac is still there, and so is the umbilical cord. I swish I wouldn't have helped it, but I think it would have been dead by morning if I didn't. Either way I don't think it is going to make it, and I don't want it to suffer.

7. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    Give life a chance. You never know. I feared for one of my last hatch that was the same way. I set it on a damp paper towel in a cup and within a day it was indistinguishable from the others.

8. weegarden

weegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    I think I will give that a try. Thanks!

9. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    You!

LOL
    LOL! Doesn't life just work like that?

Duckling will get to see the chicks and ducklings hatch next week thanks to the new incubator. Or not. The new incubator is not as awesome as I hoped. Might not get anything.
    I have pictures (lots and lots and lots of pictures!) of Duckling with chicks in the brooder, on the bed, on her head and outside. Ducklings in her crib, and outside. I also have a few pictures of the day I caught a fly away hen. I had Duckling in the coop, and said, "Here! Take her." Duckling (about 18-months-old) turned around with her arms out. She was too shocked to react when I put the chicken in her arms! [​IMG] When I told her she could put it down, she gently lowered the hen to the ground. The hen never fussed!

1 person likes this.
  10. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Its May and I am incubating... Guess I should join here too.

3 bators of chicken eggs, and some peafowl with more going in today [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by