MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Guineas have to be trained to a coop for six weeks before they'll reliably come back. I locked my first bunch up in my new coop as I was building it. Then when I let them out they followed all the chickens right into the old coop and stayed in there
roll.png
Once I moved all the chickens to the new coop they moved back in there with them.

Then I lost all my originals except one, so I let my buff orp hatch some guinea eggs and since they were raised right in the coop by her, I didn't have to do any coop training.

As for free ranging, they mostly stick right with the chickens. They don't go far. They can fly though. Here's a shot of some of them up in a tree.

Thanks.

Guineas have to be trained to a coop for six weeks before they'll reliably come back. I locked my first bunch up in my new coop as I was building it. Then when I let them out they followed all the chickens right into the old coop and stayed in there
roll.png
Once I moved all the chickens to the new coop they moved back in there with them.

Then I lost all my originals except one, so I let my buff orp hatch some guinea eggs and since they were raised right in the coop by her, I didn't have to do any coop training.

As for free ranging, they mostly stick right with the chickens. They don't go far. They can fly though. Here's a shot of some of them up in a tree.

That's an eggsellant idea! I plan on keeping a couple of silkies who are broodie specifically for the purpose of hatching eggs I don't have incubator space or time to hatch myself and now I know how I can do guineas again. Thank you!

My rock didn't make it, but at least it isn't suffering any longer.  It just didn't seem strong from the beginning. It was pipped with no progress for a very long time. I think it was over 48 hours. So out of 18, I have 5 rocks and 6 beautiful blue silkies.

I also have more eggs hatching on Tuesday. :) (10 eggs) I set them on Apr. 19 at 9:30 pm, so I will lockdown on Saturday evening. 

I'm sorry.

Just got myself a still air hovabator as a hatcher! Rushed the shipping so it gets here tomorrow. Now my quail eggs can move into a hatcher and I don't have to juggle all my eggs into one incubator, which is lovely, because my Cayugas got here and everyone fits perfectly with no air sack jenga going on. The muscovies, pekins, and 12 other ducks eggs, not to mention my mothers's quail eggs we're picking up tomorrow probably would have some difficulties all stacking in there.
Wonderful, I hope it goes well!
fl.gif

Quote:
Any other guinea tips?

Ok. It seems like my chicks are popping out like popcorn now
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

I had 3 yesterday and 5 this morning. I took kid to school to find 2 more when I got home
1f60a.png
pop pop pop
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

Back
Top Bottom