MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. BrieCheese23

BrieCheese23 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Whelp, twelve more duck eggs arrived this morning. Each one has a broken air cell. I stuck them in my farm innovator in a carton on top of the eggs in the turner. Will this work or will the weight of those twelve eggs push eggs out of the turner when the machine goes?

[​IMG]

I mean they're bantam duck eggs, so not as heavy, but still...

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Did you let them sit 24 hours to give the air cells a chance to settle? Don't know if your turning idea will work or not.

3. BrieCheese23

Apr 10, 2016
    The idea is they settle and start incubating at the same time. After reading a Muscovy duck incubating tutorial it said to place the eggs aircell up without turning for the first four days or so. Hence the carton. I just don't know if the weight of these eggs will force other eggs out when the turner actually turns...

4. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Head Shot Contest:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. mlm Mike

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
  6. mlm Mike

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH

7. NaJoBeLe

NaJoBeLe Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Down past the Holler

That will be pushing the limit of the turner. Especially with it being duck eggs. The motor should be fine power wise but the concern will be with the arm on the turner motor popping out where it connects to the trays. Also it appears that you are using the cardboard cartons. You will need to watch that closely as well. It will suck the moisture out of the eggs quickly. Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  8. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA

I use plastic baskets from the dollar store to hatch in and mesh laundry bags to keep them in. I found laundry bags that are the perfect size for the baskets to fit right in and can fit 12 regular sized eggs in each basket. Baskets were 2/$1 and same with the laundry bags.

1 person likes this.
  9. BrieCheese23

Apr 10, 2016

I'm using the dry hatch method, although I did pull the eggs out after about ten-fifteen minutes. I got all panicky about the turner sending them into the heating element when I wasn't home and catching that cardboard on fire. They hadn't warmed up yet, so hopefully I didn't just kill all 12 of those eggs :/ but, they shall go into the new bator tomorrow since I don't need it to turn because it's a hatcher. God knows why I didn't just wait in the first place. I'm a spaz sometimes....

10. wabbit1964

wabbit1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Maine
    My Coop
    Well of my 5 turkey eggs 2 looked to be quitters one later than the other and 3 were fully formed turkeys dead in shell....... So 0/5 .. discouraged upset.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by