MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

I'm using the dry hatch method, although I did pull the eggs out after about ten-fifteen minutes. I got all panicky about the turner sending them into the heating element when I wasn't home and catching that cardboard on fire. They hadn't warmed up yet, so hopefully I didn't just kill all 12 of those eggs :/ but, they shall go into the new bator tomorrow since I don't need it to turn because it's a hatcher. God knows why I didn't just wait in the first place. I'm a spaz sometimes....

Glad you got it figured out. I will still caution against the cardboard cartons. Even though you are using the "dry" hatch method you still have humidity in your incubator. Depending on the incubator used it will be closely related to ambient. You have ventilation and therefore will inadvertently have humidity fluctuations. I am not trying to insult your intelligence but it seems as though a lot of people claim to use the term dry hatch method and assume the relative humidity is at 0% which is not the case. It is also recommended that you cut the bottom out of the individual egg holes for proper airflow. Hope this helps and hope you have a wonderful hatch.

Well not a typical bird we have on here but my house sparrow egg hatched, the nest had to be moved as it was a fire hazard and they didn't want to kill it so they gave it to me to put in the bator incase it would develop. out of the two one was a clear and the one developed nicely.

Glad you got it figured out. I will still caution against the cardboard cartons. Even though you are using the "dry" hatch method you still have humidity in your incubator. Depending on the incubator used it will be closely related to ambient. You have ventilation and therefore will inadvertently have humidity fluctuations. I am not trying to insult your intelligence but it seems as though a lot of people claim to use the term dry hatch method and assume the relative humidity is at 0% which is not the case. It is also recommended that you cut the bottom out of the individual egg holes for proper airflow. Hope this helps and hope you have a wonderful hatch.

Ooooh, that's actually a really good idea, cutting the bottoms off. This is my first time dry hatching, so it's all pretty new to me :) At least I wont be using the cartons all incubation, just a few days and they'll be in a hatcher with quail eggs at 60ish humidity for those few days, it should be okay. I mean my last duck eggs were at sixty percent until the last week and 10 out of twelve hatched. The other two were empties.

Last edited:
it is 60% purina kitten chow, 20%boiled egg, and 20% meal worms, it seems like a very poor diet not meant for the little bird but lots of wildlife rehabilitators say that is what to use, i guess it is probably the closest thing they can get to the correct nutrients.

Ooooh, that's actually a really good idea, cutting the bottoms off. This is my first time dry hatching, so it's all pretty new to me :) At least I wont be using the cartons all incubation, just a few days and they'll be in a hatcher with quail eggs at 60ish humidity for those few days, it should be okay. I mean my last duck eggs were at sixty percent until the last week and 10 out of twelve hatched. The other two were empties.

Sounds like you have a gameplan that should work. Just out of curiosity what is the thought process or reasoning for wanting to switch to dry method. 10 out of 12 sounds pretty good?

it is 60% purina kitten chow, 20%boiled egg, and 20% meal worms, it seems like a very poor diet not meant for the little bird but lots of wildlife rehabilitators say that is what to use, i guess it is probably the closest thing they can get to the correct nutrients.
You just mash it all together. Then get in mouth some how?

You just mash it all together. Then get in mouth some how?

No need to mash it, the cat food if dry should be soaked but otherwise they can handle small chunks. They're not a species that regurgitate to their young, they get small whole foods.

Back
Top Bottom