MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. banannalee

banannalee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    [​IMG] That is sooo true!!!

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Mine is ready to give up being she is setting on turkey eggs

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

they are around where the embryo is laying in there, so could be anywhere

great images blooie!

awesome!!!

LOL dang hens always make us do things!!

4. chanamarie

chanamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    First time incubating...put 18 eggs into a still air incubator yesterday (6 each of Ameracauna, Olive Egger, LF Cochin). Very nervous and some questions!

I didn't get the automatic egg turner, but now I want it. Would it be ok to get one today and put it in? Or will it disrupt things too much?
    Also, and I posted this elsewhere, I'm struggling to keep the temp above 100 (read somewhere here it should be 102 in a still air). But then I read a cheat sheet about this particular incubator and I think it's not such a big deal in the first two days as it's stabilizing. But I think having the automatic egg turner would help? So much info on this site, but it's also very overwhelming. The woman who lent me the incubator, looked at me like I was insane when I said I had multiple thermometers. She said, 'it's just incubating eggs!' I'm hopeful that if she hatched successfully while not doing much, I will too by doing a little bit more!

5. billiejw89

billiejw89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    North central WA
    Good Luck! We are hatching turkey eggs for the first time as well. A little over a week to go for us. [​IMG]
    I want a gosling someday, too cute! Good luck with your hatch.

lol yeah I get "looks" when I'm collecting eggs and not putting them in the fridge! I don't think our bators have been empty since I turned them on in Feb. At least I'm not keeping the chicks, well not ALL of them anyways haha

6. billiejw89

billiejw89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    North central WA
    I had an egg last time that I was 100% sure was a bloodring. It had a small red line all the way around the egg. I didn't see movement. We ended up taking it out. My daughter cracked it open to see what it looked like, and the little chick was still alive [​IMG] So now I don't take them out unless we a well into the hatch and there is no development.

great pics!

Yay! Good luck

Good luck

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yeah, not sure what's up with that one - it looks totally different than the other 13.
    Got your PM...thanks for that! We are close - do most of our major shopping up there when I have to go to St. Vs for medical stuff.

I'm just going to keep an eye on that one rather than just arbitrarily pulling it. Strange things can happen inside those eggs, that's for sure!

Ah, a broody - now there's a pipe dream I keep having over and over again.

8. Sueg4332

Sueg4332 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Ceres, California
    here is pictures of chicks I assisted in hatch
    3 brahmas, 2 wheaten marans and ameruacana. two were pipped and dying out, 3 no pips . I pipped them 2 were ready, 1 bled but but it back in bator for 12 hours and it got out of shell by its self.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Lockdown is tomorrow for me for 1/2 of my eggs. Gotta get the hatcher cleaned up today. I also get to candle my second set of eggs today. Day 7 already?!

10. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Got them ready to go into the incubator this afternoon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

133 of them.

Break down:
    7 Polish/Turken cross. 4 green 3 brown. From another breeder with blood from my flock.
    12 Green Egger Naked Neck from a breeder with some blood from my flock.
    29 from Cinnamon rooster/ various hens.
    22 from Golden Partridge rooster/ various hens
    27 from Red Mottled rooster red and barred hens.
    10 from Spangled Aloha over Mottled Partridge and Silver hens.
    6 Green Egger Naked Neck my Flock from Blue Cream Partridge NN.
    8 from Blue Cream Partridge NN rooster over a Black NN hen. Brown eggs.
    12 from a Mottled Partridge rooster over various hens (3).

Last edited: May 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by