MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Day 7 today and we candled the eggs for the first time. Looks like 5/7 have something going on although we're not sure if one has a blood ring or not. Will continue to watch it. Sadly the two eggs from our white rock look unfertile. Do blood rings develop on the side of an egg, or around the circumference? This is my first experience with hatching eggs done in not quite sure.

Well, with heart pounding I took up the flashlight after we got home from Cody tonight. I was so torn between wanting to know and just not wanting to look!! My track record ain't so hot - 3 chicks out of 39 eggs in 2 separate hatches, so I was more than a little apprehensive. I got 16 Silkie eggs shipped from @RubyNala97 and, true to form, managed to break one putting it in the incubator, so I have 15 in the Brinsea. This is the first egg I candled tonight (day 4) and this is what I saw. (Ignore that stripy thing....seems to be a artifact in the 2 photos I took tonight)

Now, that's pretty doggone exciting, but what's even better is that I have 13 more just like it in there!!!

These are shipped eggs, and it took them a few days to get here. She did a fabulous job gathering, storing, and shipping these eggs! It CAN be done!! I only have one egg that looks like this out of all of them:

Maybe, just maybe, this might finally be the hatch I can actually pull off!!

Last edited:
We have external pips and lots of peeps coming from the bator. We should have chicks in the morning. One day early. My bator must run a degree hot.

Well, with heart pounding I took up the flashlight after we got home from Cody tonight. I was so torn between wanting to know and just not wanting to look!! My track record ain't so hot - 3 chicks out of 39 eggs in 2 separate hatches, so I was more than a little apprehensive. I got 16 Silkie eggs shipped from @RubyNala97 and, true to form, managed to break one putting it in the incubator, so I have 15 in the Brinsea. This is the first egg I candled tonight (day 4) and this is what I saw. (Ignore that stripy thing....seems to be a artifact in the 2 photos I took tonight) Now, that's pretty doggone exciting, but what's even better is that I have 13 more just like it in there!!! These are shipped eggs, and it took them a few days to get here. She did a fabulous job gathering, storing, and shipping these eggs! It CAN be done!! I only have one egg that looks like this out of all of them: Maybe, just maybe, this might finally be the hatch I can actually pull off!!
Is that bottom one was it starting to form looks like a red vein in the bottom corner of the egg

Sweet! Nice looking eggs! Cody? That's only a few hours away from me! I feel excited that I'm not 300 miles from the closest person on here. Woot!

My broodies are really grumpy. I busted them tonight sitting on eggs after dark.. Threw their butts in a cage. Don't need the guess work of which is good to eat and which is developing in to a chicken...People get unhappy with 1/2 started eggs....
so I set white marans and wheaten marans tonight.
Darn old hens made me do it......

Well, with heart pounding I took up the flashlight after we got home from Cody tonight. I was so torn between wanting to know and just not wanting to look!! My track record ain't so hot - 3 chicks out of 39 eggs in 2 separate hatches, so I was more than a little apprehensive. I got 16 Silkie eggs shipped from @RubyNala97 and, true to form, managed to break one putting it in the incubator, so I have 15 in the Brinsea. This is the first egg I candled tonight (day 4) and this is what I saw. (Ignore that stripy thing....seems to be a artifact in the 2 photos I took tonight) Now, that's pretty doggone exciting, but what's even better is that I have 13 more just like it in there!!! These are shipped eggs, and it took them a few days to get here. She did a fabulous job gathering, storing, and shipping these eggs! It CAN be done!! I only have one egg that looks like this out of all of them: Maybe, just maybe, this might finally be the hatch I can actually pull off!!
Congrats!! I candled on day nine (I think) and only saw six veining and a blood ring. Now I can't see one with a blood ring, and nine are doing well.

Everyone asks about breaking a broody. I wanna know how to get these heifers to hatch me some eggs. I want broodies! !!!
gig.gif

DH doesn't trust me to go alone to the feed store during chick season either. He says this time of year is dangerous for our budget. LOL! Unfortunately, for him and the budget we recently found a feed store that has chicks year round. We are really in trouble now. LOL!
gig.gif
I went to the feed store a few days ago. I told Duckling we weren't getting anymore babies. Yesterday my husband realized that I don't have any turkeys right now.
lol.png
He encourages my math!

Well I had one turkey hatch but it must have broke one of the main blood vessels and it bled to death being that young I didn't know what to put on it to stop it and if this offends anyone I am truly sorry I didn't want it to die I just didn't know what to do so I moistened it and put it in the incubator as with my chickens it usually helps stop the blood it didn't bleed very much but when I checked on it wasn't breathing or moving. I think my broody hen is about to give up on setting on the turkeys eggs being that they take longer
I'm sorry. That just stinks.

Lost a few more. One looks like a day 6 or 7 quitter and one was probably lost today. Plus removed another dud. Down to 21 eggs from 30.
1f61e.png

I have another that looks like a dud but it's shell is dark enough I'm not comfortable calling it yet.
Hopefully no more die.

Oh no, sorry on the losses, but hang in there!
Day 7 today and we candled the eggs for the first time. Looks like 5/7 have something going on although we're not sure if one has a blood ring or not. Will continue to watch it. Sadly the two eggs from our white rock look unfertile. Do blood rings develop on the side of an egg, or around the circumference? This is my first experience with hatching eggs done in not quite sure.

I think they can. They typically do not, but sometimes they kind of run down, or the inside is tipped.
We have external pips and lots of peeps coming from the bator. We should have chicks in the morning. One day early. My bator must run a degree hot.
Cool Beans! I'm right there with you!
woot.gif

My broodies are really grumpy. I busted them tonight sitting on eggs after dark.. Threw their butts in a cage. Don't need the guess work of which is good to eat and which is developing in to a chicken...People get unhappy with 1/2 started eggs....
so I set white marans and wheaten marans tonight.
Darn old hens made me do it......
old.gif
Don't blame the darn old hens missy! We all know it was chicken math!!!! LOL

gig.gif

I went to the feed store a few days ago. I told Duckling we weren't getting anymore babies. Yesterday my husband realized that I don't have any turkeys right now.
lol.png
He encourages my math!

I LOVE chicken math!!!!
celebrate.gif

Update: 3 hatched-

2 rocks and 1 silkie.
4 are pipped, and 11 are showing no movement yet.
They certainly got rolled around last night when the first 2 rocks came out!
I'm really glad that I have to work today, so I will be forced to leave the incubator alone! Sitting on my hands. :)
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom