MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I was lucky enough to win half a dozen "rainbow" eggs in one of the Easter HAL contests here! I asked for primarily green/blue egg layers and boy did they deliver. they even sent me 7 instead of 6!

they were shipped, so I let them settle for 36 hours when they got here.

today is now day 18 and I have moved them over to the hatcher! 2 were clear/didn't start, but the remaining 5 of 7 look good at lockdown.

they had saddle shaped air cells through incubation, but now 4 of their air cells appears to be reattached and looks nice and round and full. 1 egg ("green magnolia") still has a saddle shaped air cell with 2 obvious detached areas when I candle.

I moved them over to the hatcher upright in a carton, and marked their air cells!
    I can't wait! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 olive egger,
    1 easter egger,
    1 splash ameraucana,
    1 ameri-flower,
    1 green magnolia

guesses on how many of these shipped eggs will actually hatch?!

2. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Four

1 person likes this.
  3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper

Nov 3, 2010
    I've done it. Wait until dark and slip them under her as long as they are less than a few days old they should get the idea quickly. Make sure she accepts them. Slip them under and check on her a few time that first night and again right in the morning and make sure she's OK with them. Most hens will take them no problema

4. Chicken girl 15

Chicken girl 15 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2015
    harpursville ny
    Everyone asks about breaking a broody. I wanna know how to get these heifers to hatch me some eggs. I want broodies! !!!

5. weegarden

weegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Woo hoo!!! Came home and 7 out of 18 eggs are pipped! Only a couple of the silkies, but hopefully they will still pip too! Those Plymouth rocks are tough chicks. They always hatch! :) My humidity was down to 49, so I slipped in a warm wet paper towel.

Hopjng to hatch 7 rocks, 8 blue silkies, and 3 white silkies.

1 person likes this.
  6. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

DH doesn't trust me to go alone to the feed store during chick season either. He says this time of year is dangerous for our budget. LOL! Unfortunately, for him and the budget we recently found a feed store that has chicks year round. We are really in trouble now. LOL! :gig

7. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California
    Good luck with all those broodies!!!!
    Go chickies go!!! [​IMG]

8. chicken hawk 33

chicken hawk 33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2015
    I have broody hens all over.but no eggs are places for them.

9. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Candles tonight. Looks like all 10 are doing well. Hard to see in the dark shells. Lock in for my broody girl tomorrow. Good thing I am busy the next few days. Saturday seems sofar away.

10. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by