MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 20, 2016.

1. TJordan

TJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2014
    Lower Alabama
    Tomorrow! tomorrow! I love you tomorrow! lockdown a day away!!!!! [​IMG]

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Hi Annie

3. Shabooki

Shabooki New Egg

May 3, 2016
    My eggies go into lockdown tomorrow too!

4. cree57i

cree57i Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    Broody #11 started sitting today. [​IMG] This is getting comical. [​IMG]

I am officially at an all time high broody epidemic. Luckily I have some production breeds so there are plenty of eggs to go around.
    I have 3 of them currently residing in my feed room. Where am I going to put this one? [​IMG]I have under the poop board, on the poop board, in the nest box, under the coop, in the chicken tractor, etc, etc, etc, broodys.

Broody # 2 hatched 2 more chicks today. I haven't ever had one hatch chicks and continue to sit. She hatched her first chick on 4/30. She was up to 4 total earlier today. Broody #3 took her 6 out to meet the flock today. She seems to have it much more together than #2. Broody #4 should be hatching this week.
    I also have 15 in the incubator that went into lockdown yesterday. Happy May [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Bantambird

Bantambird Overrun With Chickens

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    Yep mama hens can do it better than we can if they are good mama hens.

6. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    Holy chickens! Good luck! Send some Broodies this way

7. weegarden

weegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Cute! Tomorrow! Tomorrow! I hope I have chicks tomorrow!

Were still at 7 pips out of 18. I guess I better go to bed. Crossing my fingers! Good luck with lockdown!

8. cree57i

cree57i Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    I would be glad to!

The majority of them are marans too. Don't let anybody say Marans aren't broody monsters!

9. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA

Well I had one turkey hatch but it must have broke one of the main blood vessels and it bled to death being that young I didn't know what to put on it to stop it and if this offends anyone I am truly sorry I didn't want it to die I just didn't know what to do so I moistened it and put it in the incubator as with my chickens it usually helps stop the blood it didn't bleed very much but when I checked on it wasn't breathing or moving. I think my broody hen is about to give up on setting on the turkeys eggs being that they take longer

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  10. Hirad

Hirad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2016
    Lost a few more. One looks like a day 6 or 7 quitter and one was probably lost today. Plus removed another dud. Down to 21 eggs from 30.[​IMG]
    I have another that looks like a dud but it's shell is dark enough I'm not comfortable calling it yet.
    Hopefully no more die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by