May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

How do I keep the humidity in my incubator from fluctuating? It went from..45 to 40 to 37, then back to 40. I went to bed and woke up and it was at 21. How do I keep the humidity steady? Also will the eggs die if this keeps happening?

I'm definitely no expert, but I had issues with using the water channels in my incubator - during my test run, using one of the two channels (as recommended in the directions) gave me too high humidity and then the water would evaporate over night, which made it drop WAY too low.

I ended up using a separate container of water for day 1-18, it was much easier to maintain the right humidity and not have it evaporate too fast. When I went to Lockdown I filled both channels and took out the container. That seemed to work fine as the humidity stayed high enough through day 23.

It sounds like you're in the middle of incubating though so it might be difficult to experiment.

What do you mean you cupped it? Just incase I ever have to do this. I learn so much on here.
I know I already replied, but I peaked in at the chicks and discovered a late Hatcher. It had just freed itself, but still had an external yolk sack, so I "cupped it" but with a change. I put the bottom of the egg between it and the paper towel in hope it will still draw in the sack. I got a picture for you for reference.
IMG_20200504_202248.jpg

Last edited:
Meet my new little computer buddy. Who shall be named Reven. This was one of the first two out last night.
View attachment 2123214

This little one needs an awesome name though because it has a shield on its head. Thought about naming it Jedi but what do you think?

View attachment 2123220View attachment 2123221

update on my Welshies no one has pipped yet. But they aren’t due to hatch until tomorrow.

many other black EastIndie eggs are down to 8. 5 still going from the lost shipment from jersey and my first three fertilized ones from my black East Indie pair.

I have 18 Aztec eggs in another bator but I am not sure how they are doing yet as they just hit day three.

Also trying to hatch out more chickens from a friend for her. I am still debating on if and what breed I want to do for chickens for myself. It needs to have smaller combs through because bigger ones kinda freak me out. I am taking suggestions.
Helmet, takes me to X-Men. Xavier or Magneto

Also trying to hatch out more chickens from a friend for her. I am still debating on if and what breed I want to do for chickens for myself. It needs to have smaller combs through because bigger ones kinda freak me out. I am taking suggestions.

Easter Eggers. They're a very diverse group, have hardly any comb at all, lay beautiful eggs and have (I'm told) distinctive personalities. One day I intend to get some, but at present I have too many birds--yes, even too many considering the current state of the world. At any rate, given what I've read in your posts and what I've read here about easter eggers, I'll bet you'd like them.

Ive discovered Brahma broodies are either dumb or have long term memory isssues (dory style).
My first brahma wont leave the nest to eat or drink unless i chase her off it, she then instantly forgets where it is (5 feet away). If i place her back by the nest she clucks at me like i hid it or something and then sits again, if i dont the eggs would go cold.
Brahma 2 sits all day till about 2 in the afternoon, then leaves the nest (FOR AROUND 5 HOURS!!!!!), then sits again again late afternooon and all night.
You can break a broody but apparently stupid is invincible :he

I know I already replied, but I peaked in at the chicks and discovered a late Hatcher. It had just freed itself, but still had an external yolk sack, so I "cupped it" but with a change. I put the bottom of the egg between it and the paper towel in hope it will still draw in the sack. I got a picture for you for reference.
View attachment 2123287
Excellent, thank you for the photo as well! I hope she makes it!

Meet my new little computer buddy. Who shall be named Reven. This was one of the first two out last night.
View attachment 2123214

This little one needs an awesome name though because it has a shield on its head. Thought about naming it Jedi but what do you think?

View attachment 2123220View attachment 2123221

update on my Welshies no one has pipped yet. But they aren’t due to hatch until tomorrow.

many other black EastIndie eggs are down to 8. 5 still going from the lost shipment from jersey and my first three fertilized ones from my black East Indie pair.

I have 18 Aztec eggs in another bator but I am not sure how they are doing yet as they just hit day three.

Manda after Mandalorian looks like his helmet

Back
Top Bottom